Congregation for the Oriental Churches
|Surname:||Congregation for the Oriental Churches
(Latin Congregatio pro Ecclesiis Orientalibus )
|Seat:||Palazzo dei Convertendi
Via della Conciliazione 34
|Cardinal Prefect :||
Leonardo Cardinal Sandri
Giorgio Demetrio Gallaro
The Congregation for the Eastern Churches ( Latin : Congregatio pro Ecclesiis Orientalibus ), often also called the "Congregation for the Eastern Churches", is a central authority ( dicastery ) of the Roman Curia that performs central management tasks for the universal Church.
The Congregation of the Eastern Churches, which was originally just a department of the Congregation for the Proclamation of the Faith ( Sacra Congregatio de Propaganda Fide ), was founded on May 1, 1917 by the Motu proprio Dei Providentis of Pope Benedict XV. elevated to an independent authority. It was initially called the "Holy Congregation for the Oriental Church", but was in 1967 by Paul VI. renamed “Holy Congregation for the Oriental Churches” (plural) ( Sacra Congregatio pro Ecclesiis Orientalibus ). In 1984 the attribute "holy" was dropped.
The business of the Congregation for the Eastern Churches encompasses all matters relating to the relationship between the Eastern Churches united with Rome and the Holy See, that is, to seek and maintain ties, to promote their growth, to secure their rights and also their legacy of the various Eastern Christian traditions alive and complete.
The Congregation of the Eastern Churches today has ad normam iuris over the eparchies (dioceses), the bishops, the clergy, the religious and the believers in the oriental rites the same powers as the corresponding congregations over the followers of the Latin rite. In Egypt and the Sinai Peninsula, Eritrea and Northern Ethiopia, Southern Albania, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Greece, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine, Syria, Jordan and Turkey, it even has exclusive competence.
The Congregation coordinates the work of three expert commissions:
- the special commission for the oriental liturgy
- the Special Commission for the Studies of the Christian Orient
- the Commission for the Formation of Clergy and Religious
The Congregation also publishes a magazine (SICO Servizio Informazioni Chiese Orientali ) which reports on its activities, in which statements of the Pope regarding the Eastern Churches are published and current news and reports from the field of the Eastern Churches are published.
The work of the congregation is financed with funds from the Holy See and donations from various international aid organizations (e.g. the Catholic Near East Welfare Association in the USA) and private individuals. The ROACO ( Riunione delle Opere di Aiuto alle Chiese Orientali ), chaired by the Cardinal Prefect, is responsible for coordinating these aid organizations .
At the head of the Congregation for the Eastern Church is a cardinal prefect; at his side are a secretary, an undersecretary and 29 other permanent employees. In addition, the congregation is supported in its work by a 50-member advisory board (consultors).
Leonardo Cardinal Sandri was founded by Pope Benedict XVI. appointed Prefect and confirmed by Pope Francis on February 19, 2014 .
In addition to the Prefect, the Congregation itself consists of 18 cardinals, five patriarchs, two major archbishops, six archbishops and two bishops, who are each appointed by the Pope for five years. Born members are the Patriarchs and Grand Archbishops of the Eastern Churches and the President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity . Members of the congregation are currently:
- Christoph Schönborn OP
- Angelo Cardinal Bagnasco
- Kurt Cardinal Koch (since 2010)
- Angelo Cardinal Scola (since 2012)
- Marc Cardinal Ouellet PSS (since 2012)
- André Vingt-Trois (since 2012)
- Reinhard Cardinal Marx (since 2012)
- George Cardinal Alencherry (since 2012)
- Timothy Michael Cardinal Dolan (since 2012)
- Lucian Cardinal Mureşan (since 2012)
- Fernando Cardinal Filoni (since 2012)
- Edwin Frederick O'Brien (since 2012)
- Gerhard Ludwig Cardinal Müller (since 2014)
- Péter Erdő (since 2015)
- Thomas Collins (since 2015)
- Ricardo Blázquez (since 2015)
- Mario Zenari (since 2017)
- Miguel Ayuso Guixot MCCJ (since 2020)
- Gregory III. Laham
- Grégoire Bedros XX. Ghabroyan
- Fouad Twal (since 2009)
- Béchara Pierre Raï OMM (since 2012)
- Louis Raphaël I. Sako (confirmed since 2014, 2018)
- Isaac Cleemis Thottunkal
- Svyatoslav Shevchuk (since 2011)
- Ján Babjak SJ (since 2009)
- Berhaneyesus Demerew Souraphiel CM (since 2009)
- Piero Marini
- Menghisteab Tesfamariam (since 2015)
- Fülöp Kocsis (since 2015)
- Pierbattista Pizzaballa OFM (since 2017)
- Nicolò Cardinal Marini (1917–1922)
- Giovanni Cardinal Tacci Porcelli (1922-1926)
- Luigi Cardinal Sincero (Pro-Secretary 1926–1927, Secretary 1927–1936)
- Eugène Cardinal Tisserant (1936-1959)
- Amleto Giovanni Cardinal Cicognani (1959–1961)
- Gabriel Acacius Cardinal Coussa BA (Pro-Secretary 1962, Secretary 1962)
- Gustavo Cardinal Testa (1962-1965)
- Mario Brini (1965–1982)
- Miroslav Stefan Marusyn (1982-2001)
- Antonio Maria Vegliò (2001-2009)
- Cyril Vasiľ SJ (2009-2020)
- Giorgio Demetrio Gallaro (since 2020)
Until 1967 the Pope himself was prefect of the congregation.
- Gustavo Cardinal Testa (Pro-Prefect 1965–1967, Prefect 1967–1968)
- Maximilien Cardinal de Fürstenberg (1968–1973)
- Paul-Pierre Cardinal Philippe OP (1973–1980)
- Władysław Cardinal Rubin (1980–1985)
- Duraisamy Simon Cardinal Lourdusamy (1985–1991)
- Achille Cardinal Silvestrini (1991-2000)
- Ignatius Moussa I Cardinal Daoud (2000-2007)
- Leonardo Cardinal Sandri (since 2007)
- Homepage of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches
- Entry on Congregation for the Oriental Churches on catholic-hierarchy.org
- ↑ Nomina di Cardinali Membri dei Dicasteri della Curia Romana , in: Holy See Press Office: Daily Bulletin of December 29, 2010.
- ^ A b c d e Nomina di Membri della Congregazione per le Chiese Orientali , in: Holy See Press Office: Daily Bulletin of March 7, 2012.
- ^ A b c d e Nomina di Cardinali Membri dei Dicasteri e degli Organismi della Curia Romana , in: Holy See Press Office: Daily Bulletin of April 21, 2012.
- ^ Conferme e nomine nella Congregazione per le Chiese Orientali , Vatican Press Office, February 19, 2014
- ↑ a b c d e Nomina di Membri della Congregazione per le Chiese Orientali. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, June 27, 2015, accessed June 27, 2015 (Italian).
- ^ Nomina di Membri dei Dicasteri della Curia Romana. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, December 23, 2017, accessed December 23, 2017 (Italian).
- ^ Nomina di Membri dei Dicasteri della Curia Romana. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, February 21, 2020, accessed February 21, 2020 (Italian).
- ^ A b c Nomina di membri della Congregazione per le Chiese Orientali , in: Press Office of the Holy See: Daily Bulletin of March 7, 2009.
- ^ Nuovi Membri dei Dicasteri della Curia Romana. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, October 6, 2018, accessed October 8, 2018 (Italian).
- ^ Nomina di Membro della Congregazione per le Chiese Orientali , in: Press Office of the Holy See: Daily Bulletin of June 22, 2011.
- ^ Nomina di Membro della Congregazione per le Chiese Orientali. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office , May 31, 2017, accessed May 31, 2017 (Italian).