Gustavo Testa studied philosophy and Catholic theology at several universities in Rome . He received on 28 October 1910, the sacrament of Holy Orders , and then worked as a parish pastor and high school teachers in the diocese of Bergamo . In 1920 he entered the service of the Vatican State Secretariat and was initially secretary of the Apostolic Nunciature in Austria for a period of three years . In 1923 and 1924 he worked as an Apostolic Visitator in the Ruhr and Saar region . In 1925 Pope Pius XI appointed him . as advisor to a mission with special tasks in Peru , 1927 as employee of the nunciature in Bavaria . From 1929 to 1934 Gustavo Testa was an advisor to the Apostolic Nunciature in Italy.
1934 gave him the Archbishop of Milan, Alfredo Ildefonso Cardinal Schuster , the episcopal ordination , co-consecrators were Adriano Bernareggi , Bishop of Bergamo, and Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli (later Pope John XXIII.), Apostolic delegate in Bulgaria. The Pope appointed him Apostolic Delegate for Egypt , Arabia , Eritrea , Abyssinia and Palestine . Pope Pius XII appointed Gustavo Testa in 1948 as Apostolic Delegate for Palestine, Transjordan and Cyprus with his seat in Jerusalem, in 1953 he made him head of the Apostolic Nunciature in Switzerland . Pope John XXIII Gustavo Testa accepted in December 1959 as a cardinal priest with the titular church of San Girolamo dei Croati in the college of cardinals and in 1962 appointed him secretary of the Congregation for the Eastern Churches as well as pro-president for the special administration of the Holy See. Gustavo Testa represented the Pope as a legate at the Eucharistic Congress in Munich in 1960 . He attended the Second Vatican Council from 1962 to 1965 .
He died in Rome on February 28, 1969 and was buried in Bergamo.
- 1960: Grand Cross of the Federal Republic of Germany
- 1963: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- Urban Fink: Gustavo Testa. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland . December 17, 2013 , accessed December 15, 2019 .
- Testa, Gustavo. In: Salvador Miranda : The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church. ( Florida International University website), accessed August 26, 2016.
- Entry on Gustavo Testa on catholic-hierarchy.org ; Retrieved August 26, 2016.
- Journey of the Papal Legate Testa through the occupied territories Files of the Reich Chancellery
- Acta Apostolicae Sedis . Vol. 41 (1949), p. 322 f.
|Until 1967 the Pope himself was prefect of the congregation.||
Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches
|Maximilien Cardinal de Fürstenberg|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Testa, Gustavo Cardinal (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 28, 1886|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Boltiere , Bergamo Province, Italy|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 28, 1969|
|Place of death||Rome|