Gikas Angelos Chardouvelis ( Greek Γκίκας Άγγελος Χαρδούβελης , also transcribed Gikas Hardouvelis ; born October 8, 1955 in Poulithra near Leonidi ) is a Greek economist and was Minister of Finance in Samara's cabinet .
Live and act
Chardouvelis spent 20 years of his career in the USA after graduating from high school . He received a bachelor's degree from the philosophy faculty at Harvard University and an M.Sc. in applied mathematics (1978) at the same university. In 1983 he received his PhD in Economics (1983) from the University of California, Berkeley . In 1994 he returned to Greece. After the cabinet reshuffle in Samara's cabinet due to the loss of votes in the 2014 European elections , Chardouvelis was finance minister from June 10, 2014 to January 26, 2015. The term of office of the Samara cabinet ended one day after an early parliamentary election ; he was succeeded by the Cabinet Alexis Tsipras I . After several months of investigations, the anti-corruption committee of the Greek parliament decided at the end of December 2015 that Hardouvelis would have to answer to the judiciary on suspicion of tax evasion.
Chardouvelis is Professor of Finance at the University of Piraeus in Greece (2010). He is Chief Economist and Head of Economic Research at EFG Eurobank Ergasias and at the Center for Economic Policy Research in London, Chairman of the Academic Council of the Greek Banking Company, member of the Academic Council in Cyprus and the International Institute of Management, and member of the Global Asset Management Committee .
Chardouvelis stresses that it is possible to cut public spending: “ It is a common belief that public spending is inelastic, but I think there is room for cuts if you work hard on it ... For example, if you pay of overtime in the public sector. “Wall Street is criticized by Chardouvelis. He criticized Greece's accounting practices: " Politicians want to play the ball forward and if a bank can show them a way to postpone a problem they fall for it " " When a banker shows politicians a way how to do it." If a problem can be shifted to the future, they take action immediately. “Chardouvelis describes this as a classic case of co-dependency. Both Greek politicians and Goldman Sachs bankers were only interested in short-term success, according to Chardouvelis. Italy and the JPMorgan bank entered into a similar swap deal in 1996, according to Chardouvelis, and did not include it as a liability on the government's balance sheet.
- Hardouvelis, Gikas A. Margin Requirements, Volatility, and the Transitory Component of Stock Prices.
- Gikas A. Hardouvelis: Monetary policy and short-term interest rates. In: Economics Letters. 25, 1987, p. 63, doi : 10.1016 / 0165-1765 (87) 90015-2 .
- Hardouvelis, Gikas A .: Monetary policy and short-term interest rates: New evidence on the liquidity effect , Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA 1987.
- Hardouvelis, Gikas A. and Estrella Arturo: The term structure as a predictor of real economic activity . Blackwell Publishers Ltd., Journal of Finance, 1991
- Gkikas A. Hardouveli's CV ( memento of the original from September 23, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. on the website of the Athens University of Economics , accessed June 10, 2014; Mark Blaug & Howard R. Vane: Who's Who in Economics, Fourth Edition . Edward Elgar Verlag, Cheltenham (Gloucestershire) 2003, ISBN 1-84064-992-5 , p. 347.
- Vita Gikas Hardouvelis , in: Handelsblatt , No. 180 of September 18, 2014, p. 10.
- Greece's finance minister must go , Deutsche Welle, June 10, 2014; Samaras cabinet (Greek)
- spiegel.de December 22, 2015
- Reuters: Crisis-torn Greece in search of measures [DE] . In: www.euractiv.com . December 10, 2009 ( from euractiv.com [accessed March 29, 2010]).
- Louise Story, Landon Thomas Jr., and Nelson D. Schwartz: Wall Street Helped Greece Hide Debt And Stoke The European Crisis Until the crisis broke out, US banks were devising ways to circumvent European limits. In: www.euractiv.com . December 10, 2009 ( from united-mutations.org [accessed March 29, 2010]).
- John Dyer: Goldman Sachs Helped Cheat Greek Debts With Hidden Swap. A case related to Greece's number trickery sheds light on the influence of big banks on the euro. In: www.euractiv.com . December 10, 2009 ( from neue-deutschland.de [accessed on March 29, 2010]).
- : http://www.faqs.org/abstracts/Business/The-term-structure-as-a-predictor-of-real-economic-activity.html#ixzz0jeuDUgKk
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hardouvelis, Gikas Angelos; Χαρδούβελης, Γκίκας Α. (Full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Greek economist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 8, 1955|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Poulithra at Leonidi's|