Gotthelf Kummer studied geodesy at the Agricultural University in Berlin . In the winter semester 1890/91 he was active as a fox in the geodetic-cultural-technical association " kette " , later the RSC- Corps Saxonia Berlin, and in the summer semester 1891 recipients. Friedrich Suckow was one of his coetans . After completing his studies, he was sworn in at the end of 1892 as a surveyor and laborer at the land registry administration in Stettin, but initially worked as an assistant to Christian August Vogler . On June 1, 1896, he was transferred to the General Commission in Kassel. In December 1896, at the request of the German Archaeological Institute , he was given leave to start excavations near Smyrna . In 1906 he was promoted to Oberlandmesser. In 1913 he was appointed surveying inspector. In 1916 he became an economics councilor and technical assistant at the Hanover General Commission. In 1920 he moved to the Prussian Ministry of Agriculture as an unskilled worker and was promoted to Ministerial Counselor. He retired in December 1932.
Kummer was a member of the board of examiners for higher surveying and a member of the government commission for the reorganization of surveying. Through his investigations, he made a significant contribution to the promotion of land measurement science. In particular, he largely clarified their use for the needs of agriculture.
- Dr. agr. E. h. of the Agricultural University of Bonn-Poppelsdorf (1931)
- Accuracy of the estimate using a leveling telescope . In: Zeitschrift für Vermessungswesen , Volume 23., 1894, pp. 129–146.
- Estimation of the accuracy using a leveling telescope . In: Zeitschrift für Vermessungswesen , Volume 26., 1897, pp. 225–245, 257–275.
- Photo of the ruined city of Priene in Asia Minor . In: Zeitschrift für Vermessungswesen , Volume 28., 1899, pp. 473-491.
- Accuracy of the area calculations using Kloth's hyperbolic table . In: Zeitschrift für Vermessungswesen , Volume 32., 1903, pp. 686-690.
- How is the difference between the distances calculated for the purpose of staking out the area to be distributed in their sum against an already fixed total length? . In: Zeitschrift für Vermessungswesen , Volume 33., 1904, pp. 11-19.
- Difference distribution when calculating the area to be staked out . In: Zeitschrift für Vermessungswesen , Volume 33., 1904, pp. 694-697.
- Priene: Results of the excavations and investigations in the years 1895-1898 , 1904. (together with Theodor Wiegand, Hans Schrader)
- The question of simplifying and accelerating general land surveying work in the light of geodetic principles and rules of experience . In: Zeitschrift für Vermessungswesen , Volume 34., 1905, pp. 773-790.
- Point adjustment with slide rule . In: Zeitschrift für Vermessungswesen , Volume 36., 1907, pp. 77-81.
- Communication of observation results about the estimation and mapping accuracy on scales and mapping instruments . In: Zeitschrift für Vermessungswesen , Volume 36., 1907, pp. 531-541, 561-579, 593-607.
- Acta Borussica Volume 12 / II (1925–1928) (PDF file; 2.14 MB)
- Carl Weigandt: History of the Corps Saxonia-Berlin zu Aachen 1867-1967 , Alte-Herren-Vereinigung des Corps Saxonia-Berlin, Aachen 1968, p. 156
- Honorary doctorates from the Agricultural University Bonn-Poppelsdorf from 1919 to 1934 and the Agricultural Faculty of the Rheinische-Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn from 1934 to 2013
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Kummer, Gotthelf Wilhelm Otto (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German geodesist, Ministerialrat in the Prussian Ministry of Agriculture|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 9, 1868|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Siegelbach (Arnstadt)|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 19, 1941|
|Place of death||Potsdam|