Hans Gärtner (philologist)
Gärtner received his doctorate in 1960 in Göttingen under Karl Deichgräber and Wolf-Hartmut Friedrich with a thesis on Rufus of Ephesus and completed his habilitation in 1970. From 1971 he was C3 professor at the University of Regensburg .
One of Gärtner's main areas of research was ancient medicine. After the death of his teacher Konrat Ziegler, he took over the editing of the last volumes of Paulys Realencyclopadie der classical antiquity and the last volume of its updated short version Der Kleine Pauly . Gärtner also continued Ziegler's Plutarch edition and edited several volumes in revision. From 1986 to 2011 he was co-editor of the magazine Lustrum . Gärtner died on December 19, 2014 in the intensive care unit of the hospital of the Barmherzigen Brüder in Regensburg.
- (Ed. And transl.) Rufus of Ephesus: The doctor's questions to the sick. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1962 (revised version of the dissertation).
- Some thoughts on panegyric and Ammian's characteristics of the emperor Julian . Mainz 1969 ( Academy of Sciences and Literature. Treatises of the humanities and social sciences class 10)
- (Ed.) Rufus Ephesius: Quaestiones medicinales. Teubner, Leipzig 1970.
- (Ed.): Contributions to the Greek romance novel. Hildesheim 1984.
- (Ed.) Plutarchus: Moralia. Vol. 1. Teubner, Leipzig 1974; 2nd edition 1993.
- Diogenes Laertius: [Vitae philosophorum]. Vol. 3 .: Indices. Saur, Munich 2002, ISBN 3-598-71319-3 .
- Markus Janka : Enkyklion kēpion (small round garden). On poetry, history and specialist literature from antiquity. Saur, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-598-73017-9 (Festschrift, with Gärtner's list of publications).
- Markus Janka: Hans Gärtner †. In: Gnomon Vol. 88 (2016), pp. 474-479.
- Kürschner's German Scholars Calendar . 16th edition. De Gruyter, Berlin 1992, vol. 1, p. 953.
- Markus Janka: Hans Gärtner †. In: Gnomon Vol. 88 (2016), pp. 474–479, here: p. 474.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Gardener, Hans Klaus (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical philologist and medical historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 26, 1934|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bad Lauterberg in the Harz Mountains|
|DATE OF DEATH||19th December 2014|
|Place of death||regensburg|