After returning from military service as an anti-aircraft helper and then as a prisoner of war, he began studying social sciences in 1948 , which he completed in 1953 with a doctorate in educational economics and social history . He then worked in industry and from 1959 as a professor for German and civics at the engineering school in Furtwangen . In 1961 he got a colleague from the watchmaker Richard Mühe , who later became director of the German Watch Museum , who aroused his interest in watches and with whom he wrote numerous articles and books on watch history. Kahlert was also a consultant at the German Watch Museum. On January 25, 2009, at the age of 81, he died of a heart attack.
In 2006 he received the Robert Gerwig Medal from Furtwangen University for his achievements . In addition, as a multiple SPD city councilor , he was honored with the citizen's medal in 1990 for his commitment to Furtwangen's local politics .
- The early years of the wristwatch. In: Old clocks. No. 1, 1981, pp. 27-35.
- Wristwatches: 100 years of development history . Callwey, Munich 1983; 5th edition, ibid. 1996, ISBN 3-7667-1241-1 (with Richard Mühe and Gisbert L. Brunner )
- Timepiece with charm. Mechanical ladies' wristwatches. In: Weltkunst. Issue 23, 1989, pp. 3869-3875.
- From pocket watch to wristwatch. A review. In: Uhren Magazin. No. 5, 1990, pp. 68-78.
- The swing that changes the clock. In: Uhren Magazin. No. 4, 1991, pp. 101-112.
- Alarm clock / German Clock Museum Furtwangen . Callwey, Munich 1991, ISBN 3-7667-1000-1 (with Richard Mühe , Beatrice Techen)
- Bruno Hillmann (1869-1928). In: clocks. Journal for collectors of classic timepieces. Volume 6, 1992, p. 49 f.
- When the watch found the tape. In: Uhren Magazin. Volume 3, 1992, pp. 114-120.
- Collection area with a future? Ladies wristwatches. In: Collector Jorunal. Volume 3, 1992, pp. 366-370.
- How the alarm clock got on your wrist. In: Uhren Magazin. Volume 3, 1993, pp. 104-111.
- The red 12th wristwatches between 1910 and 1930. In: Trödler & Magazin Sammeln. Volume 1, 1994, pp. 16-19.
- with Richard Mühe: What the wristwatch owes to the pocket watch. In: Uhren Magazin. Volume 5, 1994, pp. 92-100.
- Automatic wrist watches. In: Trödler & Magazin collecting. Volume 5, 1995, pp. 32-37.
- Why email is so noble (ladies' wristwatches). In: Uhren Magazin. Issue 1-2, 1995, pp. 84-91.
- 300 years of the Black Forest watch industry . Katz, Gernsbach 2007, ISBN 3-938047-15-1
- Christa Hajek: Dr. Helmut Kahlert. Professor of the university, historian and committed Furtwang citizen. In: Almanach 2010. Yearbook of the Schwarzwald-Baar-Kreis, F. 34, pp. 75–77.
- Literature by and about Helmut Kahlert in the catalog of the German National Library
- Obituary of the Südkurier from January 28, 2009
- Gerhard Lüdtke, Hans Strodel, Hans Jaeger: Kürschners German Scholars Calendar . 17th edition. de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1992, ISBN 3-11-011754-1 , pp. 1679 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German social scientist and watch historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 7, 1927|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kleinheubach|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 25, 2009|
|Place of death||Furtwangen in the Black Forest|