Hermann Kurzke (born February 15, 1943 in Berlin ) is a German literary scholar , Catholic theologian and author .
Hermann Kurzke studied German and Catholic theology at the universities of Munich and Würzburg . Until his retirement he held a professorship for modern German literary history at the Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz .
In 2011 he headed the Interdisciplinary Working Group on Hymnal Research (IAK) at the University of Mainz.
Kurzke published on Thomas Mann , Goethe as well as romanticism ( Novalis ), hymnology ( political song , hymn ), cultural religiosity and contemporary literature . In his new edition of Thomas Mann's observations of a non-political , Kurzke comes to a new reading , according to which he no longer sees the observations as a conservative or even reactionary polemic.
- In search of lost irrationality. Thomas Mann and Conservatism. Würzburg: Königshausen & Neumann 1980
- Romance and conservatism. The "political" work of Friedrich von Hardenberg (Novalis) in the horizon of his impact history. Munich: Wilhelm Fink Verlag 1983
- Thomas Mann. Epoch - work - effect. Munich: CH Beck Verlag 1985, 348 pages (workbooks on the history of literature)
- Novalis. Munich: CH Beck Verlag 1988
- Hymns and songs of the Germans. Mainz: Dieterich'sche Verlagbuchhandlung 1990
- Moon walks. A guide through Thomas Mann's Joseph novel. Frankfurt: Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag 1993
- Thomas Mann: Essays. After the first prints, critically reviewed, commented on and edited by Hermann Kurzke and Stephan Stachorski. Frankfurt: S. Fischer
- Spiritual miracle horn. Great German hymns. Edited, presented and explained by Hermann Kurzke, Hansjakob Becker , Ansgar Franz , Jürgen Henkys, Christa Reich and Alex Stock. Munich: CH Beck Verlag 2001
- Thomas Mann: Essays 1914–1926. Edited and commented by Hermann Kurzke with the assistance of Stephan Stachorski and Joëlle Stoupy. 2 volumes (text volume, commentary volume), 1251 and 997 pages, Frankfurt am Main: S. Fischer Verlag 2002
- Disbelief talk. The benefits and disadvantages of religion for life. Munich: CH Beck Verlag 2005
- Thomas Mann. Life as a work of art. Munich: CH Becksche Verlagbuchhandlung 1999
- Fall of an imperial capital. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: Siege of Mainz. A picture sheet. Edited and commented by Hermann Kurzke and Oliver Kemmann . Frankfurt am Main: Societätsverlag 2007
- Thomas Mann. A portrait for his readers. Munich: CH Beck Verlag 2009
- Thomas Mann: Considerations of a non-political. Critically reviewed, commented on and edited by Hermann Kurzke. 2 volumes (text volume and commentary volume). Frankfurt: S. Fischer Verlag, 2009
- The shortest history of German literature and other essays, Verlag CH Beck, Munich 2010. ISBN 978-3-406-59989-7
- Hymn and culture. (= Mainz hymnological studies ISSN 1862-2658 24) 2010 ISBN 9783772083785
- Georg Buechner. History of a Genius, Verlag CH Beck, Munich 2013. ISBN 978-3-406-64493-1
- Myth of Mary. Famous Marienlieder and their history . Munich 2014.
- The songs of praise to God. History - liturgy - culture. Published jointly with Ansgar Franz and Christiane Schäfer. Verlag Katholisches Bibelwerk, Stuttgart 2017, ISBN 978-3-460-42900-0 .
- Literature by and about Hermann Kurzke in the catalog of the German National Library
- Author's website
- ↑ Actually a song from the Wandervogel movement Hermann Kurzke and Christiane Schäfer in: FAZ from December 22, 2011, page 6
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German literary scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 15, 1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|