Hideki Matsui greets the Yankees fans
|Outfielder & Designated Hitter|
|Born: June 12th, 1974
|Strikes: Left||Throws: Right|
|Debut in Major League Baseball|
|March 31, 2003 with the New York Yankees|
|Last MLB assignment|
|July 22, 2012 at the Tampa Bay Rays|
(until the end of the 2012 season)
|Batting average||, 282|
|Runs batted in||760|
|Last update: April 29, 2015|
His talent was already noticed in school, where he took part in four outstanding high school tournaments. In one of those games in 1992 , he got five intentional walks , which was completely unusual in Japan at the time. Due to its impact force, he was the most successful Japanese baseball team, the Yomiuri Giants in the first round drafted . Matsui was elected MVP three times in the Japanese league . It was there that he got his nickname Godzilla , which earned him an appearance in the film Godzilla against Mechagodzilla .
In 2003 Matsui moved to the New York Yankees , for whom he played all games in his first three seasons in the Major League. He had previously played 1,573 games in Japan without a break. In his first two years in New York, he was selected for the MLB All-Star Game . In 2009 he not only won the World Series for the first time with the Yankees in person , but was also voted Best Player of the Series ( MVP ). In December 2009, Matsui signed a one-year contract with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for $ 6 million. In December 2010, he moved to the Oakland Athletics , where he had received a one-year contract for four million dollars.
His stations as a player
- 1993-2002 Yomiuri Giants
- 2003-2009 New York Yankees
- 2010 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
- 2011 Oakland Athletics
- 2012 Tampa Bay Rays
- Player information and statistics from MLB or ESPN or Baseball Reference or Fangraphs or The Baseball Cube (English)
- Player statistics in Japan at japanesebaseball.com
- Matsui hits the ground swinging . In: MLB.com . December 16, 2009. Archived from the original on December 19, 2009. Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved May 11, 2010.
- A's complete deal to sign Matsui . In: oakland.athletics.mlb.com . Archived from the original on December 15, 2010. Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved December 16, 2010.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||松井 秀 喜 (Japanese); Godzilla|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Japanese baseball player|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 12, 1974|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Neagari County, Nomi , Ishikawa Prefecture , Japan|