Horst Gies (historian)
Horst Gies studied history, political science and German studies in Frankfurt / Main and Munich, where he received his doctorate from Paul Kluke to R. Walther Darré in 1965 and the National Socialist peasant policy from 1930 to 1933 , which was also to become his life theme. After the exams for the teaching post at the grammar school (history, social studies, social studies and German) Gies entered the school service in 1968 and was at the same time assistant at a study seminar for the teaching post at grammar schools in Frankfurt / Main. He worked on the concept of the innovative four-volume history textbook , which was published by Heinz Dieter Schmid from 1974, and wrote the chapter on National Socialism in it. He pursued his academic career from then until his retirement in 2003: 1970–1972 he was a lecturer at the seminar for political education and didactics of the history of the PH Münster , from 1973 he was professor for didactics of history at the history seminar of the PH Berlin and since 1980 at the Free University of Berlin .
- Didactics of history lessons including teacher training
- Agricultural Economics and Agricultural Policy in the German Reich (1933–1945)
- Contemporary history topics in history lessons
- History of history didactics and history teaching in Germany
- 1982–1986 Chairman of the Standing Commission for Libraries (BIK) at the Academic Senate of the Free University of Berlin
- 1990–1994 representative of the Free University of Berlin on the advisory board for teacher training of the state of Berlin
- 1995–1999 Chairman of the Berlin Regional Association of the German University Association (DHV)
- 1996–2000 member of the board of the Association of Historians of Germany (VHD) as a representative of history didactics
- Contemporary history in class. A didactic outline of history in the twentieth century. Berlin 1976.
- History didactics revision course. Bad Heilbrunn / Obb. 1981
- Add. with S. Spanik: Bibliography on didactics of history teaching. Weinheim 1983.
- History - history teacher - history class. Studies in historical teaching and learning in school. Weinheim 1998
- History lessons under Hitler's dictatorship. Cologne 1992.
- Add. with G. Corni : blood and soil. Racial ideology and agricultural policy in the state of Hitler (= historical seminar, NF Volume 6), Idstein 1994.
- Add. with G. Corni: Bread - Butter - Cannons. The food industry in Germany under Hitler's dictatorship. Berlin 1997.
- Add. with M. Barricelli a. M. Toepfer: History lesson. A manual for lesson planning. Cologne-Weimar-Vienna 2004 (UTB series).
- Richard Walther Darré. The "Reichsbauernführer", the "blood and soil" ideology and Hitler's conquest of power. Bühlau: Cologne-Weimar-Vienna 2019.
- History teacher training in the Federal Republic of Germany (Dortmund work on school history and historical didactics, Volume 7) Bochum 1985.
- Nation and Europe in historical-political education. Schwalbach / Ts. 1998.
- National Socialist Germany. In: HD Schmid (ed.): Questions to history. Workbook for secondary level I , vol. 4, Frankfurt / M. (Hirschgraben Verlag) 1978, pp. 42-76 (new edition 1984, pp. 50-92) and Berlin (Cornelsen Verlag) 1999, pp. 50-94. Teacher Guide 1984, pp. 47–81.
- The Hertling government and parliamentarization in Germany 1917/18. In: The State. Journal for State Theory, Public Law and Constitutional History, 1974, Issue 4, pp. 471–496.
- NSDAP and agricultural organizations in the final phase of the Weimar Republic. In: Vierteljahrshefte für Zeitgeschichte , 15th year 1967, pp. 341–376. (accessible online)
- On the establishment of the Race and Settlement Office of the SS. In: Festgabe on the 60th birthday of Professor Paul Kluke . Edited by Dieter Rebentisch . Frankfurt 1968 (printed as Mskr.; Not in trade)
- The role of the Reichsnährstandes in the National Socialist system of rule. In: G. Hirschfeld / L. Kettenacker (ed.): The "Führer State": Myth and Reality. Studies on the structure and politics of the Third Reich. Stuttgart 1981, pp. 270-303.
- Berlin. City history as a gateway to world history. In: The Old City. Journal of City History, City Sociology and Monument Preservation 8/1981, pp. 198–307.
- History awareness and history lessons in the German Democratic Republic. In: History in Science and Education 40/1989, pp. 618–625.
- New beginnings and continuities. History didactics and history lessons in Lower Saxony after 1945. In: H. Kuss / B. Mothers (ed.): History of Lower Saxony - rediscovered. Braunschweig 1996, pp. 98-111.
- Re-education or Renewal? On the upheaval in historical teaching and learning in the GDR in 1989/90. In: G. Corni / M. Sabrow (ed.): The walls of history. Historiography in Europe between dictatorship and democracy. Leipzig 1996, pp. 118-137.
- Self-sufficiency and agriculture. The importance of the food industry in National Socialist war planning 1933–1945. In: E. Langthaler / J. Redl (eds.): Regulierter Land. Agricultural policy in Germany, Austria and Switzerland 1930–1960. Yearbook for the history of rural areas 2005, pp. 19–27.
- History lessons and national identity formation in the elementary school of the Wilhelminian Empire. In: History in Science and Education , GWU, 57/2006, pp. 492–509.
- Literature by and about Horst Gies in the catalog of the German National Library
- Biography and complete list of publications on the website of the Free University of Berlin
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 19, 1938|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Koblenz|