A decade (abbreviated Jz. ), Also decade ( ancient Greek δεκάς dekás , from δέκα déka 'ten') or Dezennium ( Latin decem 'ten' and annus 'year'), is a period of ten years . Ten decades make up a century .
Date in decades
The counting of the decades, like that of the centuries and millennia, begins with the year 1 of our calendar (see also year zero ). Accordingly, they are also counted in each century starting with the first year of the century. The decades counted in this way always begin with the years with a 1 in the ones place. In the 21st century, the first decade began on January 1, 2001 and thus ended on December 31, 2010. This classification is used in historiography, but also, for example, by politics to dedicate periods of time to specific goals (e.g. Decade for a Culture of Peace and Nonviolence for the Children of the World from 2001 to 2010).
In common usage, on the other hand, there are the terms of the tens “sixties”, “eighties” and so on, where for example “sixties” of the 20th century stands for the period 1960 to 1969. Wikipedia also uses this classification; this is how Article 60s treats years 60 to 69.
Age information in decades
In epidemiology and medicine , the term decade or decade is often used to indicate the most likely occurrence of diseases . This usually happens when the epidemiological data is not so precise that it would allow a precise classification in certain years of life. In general, the age specification in decades is therefore never meant precisely, but rather represents an approximation of a statistical mean .
These decades of life are specified as absolute time intervals of exactly 10 years, they are each limited by “10th birthdays” (“between zero and zero”). The first decade (decade of life) begins with the birth ("zero") and ends exactly with the 10th birthday ("zero") - it therefore begins with the beginning of the first year of life and ends with the completion of the tenth year of life. Typical examples would be:
- "The Madelung fat neck occurs mainly in men in the 4th to 6th decade on." Means "the age of about 3 0 to 6 0 years" and not " 4 0 to 6 to 9 years," as when rapidly Reading would easily believe.
- “In the first decade” means “from birth to tenth birthday”.
- Annual calendar : a list by year
- Historical anniversaries : overview of the individual days of the year
- Year week
- Fence post problem : the logic of counting methods
- Wilhelm Gemoll , Karl Vretska: "Greek-German School and Handbook", Verlag Hölder-Pichler-Tempsky ( Memento of the original from September 8, 2012 in the web archive archive.today ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , 9th edition, ISBN 3-209-00108-1 .
- JM Stowasser , M. Petschenig, F. Skutsch, R. Pichl, H. Reitterer, E. Sattmann, J. Semmler, K. Smolak, W. Winkler: "The Little Stowasser: Latin-German School Dictionary", Verlag Hölder- Pichler-Tempsky ( Memento of the original from September 8, 2012 in the web archive archive.today ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Vienna, 2nd edition 1987, ISBN 3-209-00225-8 .
- Walter Krämer, Götz Trenkler: Lexicon of popular errors , p. 81. Munich 2006. ISBN 3-492-24611-7 .