Jan van Deth
Jan Willem van Deth (born May 27, 1950 in Utrecht ) is a Dutch political scientist. Since 1995 he has held the Chair for Political Science and International Comparative Social Research at the University of Mannheim .
Van Deth studied mechanical engineering in Utrecht from 1969 to 1974 , and then from 1974 to 1979 political science at the University of Amsterdam . In 1984 he received his Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of Twente . From 1989 to 1994 he held a chair at the University of Nijmegen , after which he moved to Mannheim.
Van Deth has been the spokesman for the German coordination team for the European Social Survey since 2001 . From 1999 to 2001 he was director of the Mannheim Center for European Social Research . His main research interests include political orientations and political participation .
- 1997: Private Groups and Public Life. Social Participation, Voluntary Associations and Political Involvement in Representative Democracies. London / New York.
- 1998: Comparative Politics: The Problem of Equivalence. London / New York.
- 2002: The end of the politicized social structure? with Frank Brettschneider and Edeltraud Roller. Opladen.
- 2004: Germany in Europe. Wiesbaden.
- 2007: Citizenship and Involvement in European Democracies. A comparative analysis. with José Ramón Montero and Anders Westholm. London / New York.
- 2002: Social Capital and Democracy. Comparison of civil society resources. with Oscar W. Gabriel , Volker Kunz and Sigrid Roßteutscher . Vienna.
- 2005: Foundations of comparative politics. Democracies of the modern world. with Ken Newton. Cambridge.
- 2007: Children and Politics. Political attitudes of young children in the first year of primary school. with Simone Abendschön, Julia Rathke and Meike Vollmar. Wiesbaden.
|SURNAME||Deth, Jan van|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Deth, Jan Willem van (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Dutch political scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 27, 1950|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Utrecht|