Jens Flemming (born June 30, 1944 in Glogau ) is a German historian . From 1992 to 2009 he was Professor of Modern and Contemporary History at the University of Kassel .
Live and act
Jens Flemming was born in Lower Silesia and grew up in Lower Saxony. From 1965 to 1970 he studied history, German literature, philosophy and education at the University of Hamburg . After the state examination for the higher teaching post he was in 1976 with Fritz Fischer and Klaus Saul with the dissertation Agricultural Interests and Democracy. Rural Society, Agricultural Associations and State 1890–1925 as Dr. phil. PhD. In 1989 he completed his habilitation at the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg . Then Flemming was visiting professor at the University of Bielefeld and the University of Kassel. In 1992 he became professor for modern and contemporary history at the University of Kassel and taught there until his retirement in 2009. He is a member of the Theodor Fontane Society , the Heinrich Mann Society , the Society for Agricultural History and the Historical Commission for Hesse . In addition, Flemming is a liaison professor at the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, which is close to the SPD, and head of the information center on the history of National Socialism in Northern Hesse .
His research focuses on topics from political history, social, everyday and cultural history in German-speaking countries. He published in the journals Archiv für Sozialgeschichte and Das Argument as well as in daily newspapers. In addition to his scientific work, Flemming worked as a journalist for many years. He worked as a freelance author for radio, television, newspapers and magazines.
His students include Dagmar Bussiek, Nadine Freund, Florian Cebulla and Klaus-Dieter Weber.
Flemming lives in Berlin and Hamburg. He has two daughters from his first marriage and two stepdaughters.
- Agricultural interests and democracy. Rural society, agricultural associations and the state 1890–1925 . Verlag Neue Gesellschaft, Bonn 1978, ISBN 3-87831-271-7 .
- Ed .: The Republic of Weimar . 2 volumes, Droste, Düsseldorf 1979, ISBN 3-7610-7224-4 / ISBN 3-7610-7225-2 .
- Estates house, revolution and parliamentary traditions in Kassel (= historical series , volume 1). State Welfare Association Hessen, Kassel 1999, ISBN 3-89203-039-1 .
- Ed .: Readings of the story. Rural order and gender relations. Festschrift for Heide Wunder for his 65th birthday (= Kassel Semester Books , Volume 14). Kassel University Press, Kassel 2004, ISBN 3-89958-030-3 .
- Edited with Dietfrid Krause-Vilmar and Wolfdietrich Schmied-Kowarzik : Jews in Germany - Streiflichter from past and present . kassel university press, Kassel 2007, ISBN 978-3-89958-265-9 ( PDF; 551 kB ).
- Edited with Dietfrid Krause-Vilmar: Foreign rule and freedom. The Kingdom of Westphalia as a Napoleonic model state . Kassel University Press, Kassel 2009, ISBN 978-3-89958-475-2 .
- Edited with Klaus Saul, Peter-Christian Witt : Lifeworlds in a state of emergency. The Germans, Everyday Life and War, 1914–1918 (= Civilizations & History , Volume 16). Lang, Frankfurt am Main 2011, ISBN 978-3-631-63037-2 .
- Edited with Dietfrid Krause-Vilmar: Kassel in der Moderne. Studies and research on the city's history . Schüren, Marburg 2013, ISBN 978-3-89472-906-6 .
- “Providence gives us a real leader” - Bargteheide and the Weimar Republic , in: Democratic History 23, Schleswig-Holsteinischer Geschichtsverlag, Malente 2012, pp. 11–50, ISBN 978-3-933862-46-4 .
- Dagmar Bussiek, Simona Göbel (ed.): Culture, politics and the public. Festschrift for Jens Flemming (= Kasseler Personalschriften. Vol. 7). Kassel University Press, Kassel 2009, ISBN 978-3-89958-688-6 .
- Literature by and about Jens Flemming in the catalog of the German National Library
- ↑ Clio online: Dagmar Bussiek. Retrieved April 26, 2020 .
- ^ Institute for Contemporary History: Nadine Freund. Retrieved April 26, 2020 .
- ↑ Westermann. Practice history: Florian Cebulla. Retrieved April 26, 2020 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 30, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Glogau|