Joseph Philippe de Clairville
Joseph Philippe de Clairville (* 1742 in the south of France or Paris , † July 31, 1830 in Winterthur ) was a French botanist and entomologist . His botanical-mycological author's abbreviation is “ Clairv. "
In 1782 Clairville moved to Winterthur , probably Johann Sebastian von Clais contributed significantly to this change of location. In 1788 he bought the Landhaus zum Bühl there and laid out a botanical garden there. From 1791 to 1798 Clairville published seven books on garden plants . He then worked until 1806 on Entomologie helvétique , a two-volume work on beetles living in Switzerland , in which he established new rules for determining and categorizing species of beetles that have not changed to this day.
During the French Revolution and the ensuing occupation of Switzerland, Clairville stayed in southern Germany, where he translated and expanded the natural history of court and house birds by Johann Matthäus Bechstein .
Back in Winterthur, his main botanical work, Manuel d'herborisation en Suisse et en Valais , was published in 1811 . After his death, he bequeathed his herbarium and his private library to the Winterthur City Library . The herbarium was donated to the Zurich Botanical Institute by the city library in 1901 . His collection of beetles is now in the Natural History Museum in Basel .
- Heinz Balmer : Clairville, Joseph Philippe de. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- G. Geilinger: Joseph Philippe de C. , in the bulletin of the Natural Science Society in Winterthur 19, 1932, pp. 255-291.
- Werner Ganz : History of the City of Winterthur . Introduction to its history from the beginning to 1798. In: 292nd New Year's sheet of the Winterthur City Library . Winterthur 1960, p. 213 .
- Lotte Burkhardt: Directory of eponymous plant names . Extended Edition. Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin, Free University Berlin Berlin 2018. 
- Author entry and list of the described plant names for Joseph Philippe de Clairville at the IPNI
|SURNAME||Clairville, Joseph Philippe de|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French botanist and entomologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1742|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||France|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 31, 1830|
|Place of death||Winterthur|