Live and act
Juliane Roh (nee Bartsch) was born as the daughter of the alderman Helmut Bartsch and his wife Grete (nee Burchardi). She grew up in Mannheim and graduated from the Liselotte-Gymnasium in 1928. In Heidelberg she studied art history and philosophy with August Grisebach and classical archeology with Arnold von Salis and received her doctorate in 1934. She then worked for the Nierendorf Gallery in Berlin and until 1937 headed the Mannheimer Kunstverein , where she presented a program of exhibitions by August Macke , Karl Hofer , Christian Rohlfs , Max Kaus and Anton Kerschbaumer .
During the war she worked as a cultural film director for Bavaria Filmkunst in Munich-Geiselgasteig. In 1946 she married the artist and art historian Franz Roh , who in 1948 accepted a teaching position for modern art history at the University of Munich .
She worked for, among others, the art magazines Neue Zeitung , Die Kunst und das Schöne Heim and Das Artwork . In the late 1960s, Roh became involved with the Humanist Union and publicly advocated legalized abortion . Juliane Roh was the author of numerous books on the current art history of the 1950s and 1960s. Their last publication appeared in 1984. The estate - like that of Franz Roh - is administered by the doctor Richard Hampe, Munich.
- Exhibition catalog: KF Dahmen . Galerie Günther Franke, Munich 1969.
- German art of the 60s: painting, collage, op-art, graphics , Volume 1 of German Art of the 60s, Bruckmann, 1971, ISBN 3-7654-1396-8
- German Art of the 60s: Sculpture, Objects, Actions , Volume 2 of German Art of the 60s (with Jürgen Morschel), Bruckmann, 1971, ISBN 3-7654-1468-9
- German Art of the 1960s: Printmaking , Volume 3 of Deutsche Kunst since 1960, Bruckmann, 1976, ISBN 3-7654-1553-7
- with Claus Hansmann (photos): I received wonderful help. Votive pictures from Bavarian pilgrimage sites. Fine arts, cultural history, Bruckmann, Munich 1974, 5th expanded and new edited edition, Bruckmann, Munich 1982, ISBN 3-7654-1871-4 .
- Literature by and about Juliane Roh in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Juliane Roh in the German Digital Library
- Search for "Juliane Roh" in the SPK digital portal of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- Dissertation topic: Juliane Bartsch, Figure and Landscape: An Investigation of Their Relationship Forms in the Italian Art Field of the 16th and 17th Centuries , 1934
- Friedrich Vordemberge-Gildewart, Volker Rattemeyer, Dietrich Helms : Vordemberge-Gildewart: Briefwechsel , Volume 2, Museum Wiesbaden, 1997, ISBN 3-928342-88-6 , page 151
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bartsch, Juliane (maiden name); Bartsch Roh, Juliane|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German art historian and art critic|
|DATE OF BIRTH||17th September 1909|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Duisburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 8, 1987|
|Place of death||Munich|