Erdős studied mathematics at the Loránd Eötvös University in Budapest with a diploma in 1990 with Domokos Szasz (A mechanical model of the Brownian motion: the Rayleigh gas). In 1994 he received his doctorate with Elliott Lieb at Princeton University (Magnetic Schrödinger Operators and estimates on stochastic oscillatory integrals) and was then a postdoctoral fellow at ETH Zurich in 1994/95 . From 1995 to 1998 he was visiting scholar and then Assistant Professor at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences of New York University and from 1998 Assistant Professor, from 2001 Associate Professor and 2003 to 2004 Professor at the Georgia Institute of Technology . At the same time he was from 2003 professor at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich after being on the 2001 University of Vienna had habilitated (asymptotic analysis of complex quantum problems). He was also a member of the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton, New Jersey, 2013-14.
He has been at IST Austria since 2013 .
Erdős dealt with magnetic Lieb-Thirring inequalities, universal properties of random matrices, Brownian motion in the classical and quantum mechanical case, the Gross-Pitaevskii equation for Bose-Einstein condensates and the derivation of kinetic equations such as the Boltzmann equation from quantum mechanics (Schrödinger equation ). He has published with Jan Solovej , Manfred Salmhofer and Horng-Tzer Yau , among others .
Among other things, he was visiting scholar at Harvard University , Stanford University , the Universities of Copenhagen and Aarhus, Academia Sinica and the Center for Theoretical Studies in Taiwan, the Fourier Institute in Grenoble, ETH Zurich (1997) and at Erwin-Schrödinger- Institute for Mathematical Physics in Vienna. In 2000 he was invited speaker at the International Congress on Mathematical Physics in London (On the derivation of quantum kinetic equations from Schrödinger equation) and in 2009 he gave a plenary lecture at the International Congress on Mathematical Physics in Prague (Bulk universality for Wigner random matrices).
As a student he was part of the Hungarian team at the International Mathematical Olympiad 1983 (silver medal) and 1984 (bronze medal) and at the International Physics Olympiad 1984 (bronze medal). As a student, he won several prizes at the M. Schweitzer Mathematics Competition and the F. Riesz Mathematics Competition. In 1995 he received the Geza Grünwaldt Prize of the Hungarian Mathematical Society. In 2012 he was Aisenstedt visiting professor in Montreal. In 2014 he was an invited speaker at the ICM in Seoul (Random matrices, log gases and Hölder regularity). In 2015 Erdős was elected to the Academia Europaea and a corresponding member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences .
He has been co-editor of the Journal of Mathematical Physics since 2012 and of the Journal of Statistical Physics since 2008 . He is on the council of the International Association of Mathematical Physics (IAMP) and has been its treasurer since 2009.
He is not related to Paul Erdős .
- Recent developments in quantum mechanics with magnetic fields. Proc. Symp. Pure Math., Volume 76, American Mathematical Society 2006 (Barry Simon Festschrift), Arxiv.
- Linear Boltzmann equation as the weak coupling limit of the random Schrödinger equation. In: J. Dittrich, P. Exner, M. Tater: Operator Theory. Advances and Applications. Volume 108, 1999, pp. 233-242, and Erdős, Yau Comm. Pure Appl. Math. Volume 53, 2000, pp. 667-735, Arxiv.
- Magnetic Lieb-Thirring inequalities and stochastic oscillatory integrals. In: M. Demuth, B.-W. Schulze: Operator Theory. Advances and Applications. Volume 78, 1995, pp. 127-133.
- With H.-T. Yau: Universality of local spectral statistics of random matrices. Bulletin AMS, Vol. 49, 2012, pp. 377-414, Arxiv.
- Universality of Wigner random matrices. Proc. ICMP, Prague 2009, Arxiv.
- Universality of Wigner random matrices: a survey of recent results. Russian Mathematical Surveys, Volume 66, 2011, pp. 67-198, Arxiv.
- With Salmhofer, Yau: Feynman graphs and renormalization in quantum diffusion. In: Quantum theory and beyond. Proceedings of the conference in honor of the 80th birthday of Wolfhart Zimmermann. World Scientific 2011, Arxiv.
- With Salmhofer, Yau: Towards the quantum Brownian Motion. Lecture Notes in Physics, Volume 690, 2006, Arxiv.
- Scaling limits of Schrödinger quantum mechanics. In: Dynamical semigroups. Lecture Notes in Physics, Volume 597, Springer Verlag, 2002.
- Lecture Notes on Quantum Brownian Motion. In: Jürg Fröhlich et al.: Quantum theory from small to large scales. Les Houches 2010, Arxiv.
- IAS Community of Scholars
- Erdős working group at IST Austria
- Lecture at the International Congress on Mathematical Physics, Paris 1994.
- Invited Lecture at the 5th European Congress of Mathematicians in Amsterdam 2008: Derivation of the Gross-Pitaevskii-Equation for the dynamics of the Bose-Einstein condensate.
- Members of the OeAW. László Erdős. Austrian Academy of Sciences, accessed on July 30, 2017 .
- Remark by Erdős in his lecture Order in Disorder - Ramsey Theory. Munich 2005.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Hungarian mathematical physicist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 14, 1966|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Budapest|