The lectionary ( lat. [Liber] lectionárius , also lectionárium , "reading book", from léctio , "reading") is a liturgical book that contains the biblical readings during the church year for recitation during worship . Originally it was read directly from the Bible; It was not until the 5th century that the pericopes , which were arranged according to the church year, were collected in specially designed books. In the Greek language, more than 2,400 manuscripts known as “Lectionary” (ἐκλογάδιον eklogádion ) have survived .
Roman Catholic Church
The German-speaking mass lecture (title: The celebration of the Holy Mass - Lectionary ) of the Roman Catholic Church contains the Old Testament and all New Testament pericopes (including the Gospels ) as well as the "intermediate chants" for the celebration of Holy Mass in the Roman rite . These texts are no longer printed in today's “ missal ”, which contains the celebrant's prayers. The formerly independent evangelist with the gospel pericopes and the epistolar with the biblical reading pieces outside of the gospels have been absorbed in the lectionary .
The measurement lesson consists of several volumes for the Sundays and Holidays in the three reading years A, B and C, for the working days of the time in the annual cycle , for the marked times and for various occasions. The reading regulations for Sundays and holidays with three reading years are taken into account in three volumes. The lectionary for the days of the week and the feast days of the Saints is divided into two volumes for 17 weeks each; the reading texts for the days of the week planned for two consecutive annual reading series are given in both volumes for the day of the week (year I / year II). An excerpt from the Mass lesson published for ceremonial purposes is today's gospel book with the scriptures readings from the four gospels of the New Testament.
With the reading year beginning on the first Advent in 2018, new lectionaries with the text of the revised standard translation will be gradually introduced until 2022 .
There is also a lecture for the book of hours for the maternal or reading lecture , whose readings are divided into two reading series (I and II). In the Roman book of hours for the German-speaking area, this consists of a total of sixteen individual fascicles.
The lectionary according to the order of worship texts and songs is published by the United Evangelical Lutheran Church in Germany (VELKD) and the Union of Evangelical Churches (UEK). It contains the texts of all readings and sermon texts for all Sundays, feast days and memorial days of the church year. From the 1st Advent 2018 this lectionary will replace the previous various lectionaries of the Protestant regional churches in Germany and Austria as part of the revised pericope order.
Old Catholic Church
In the Old Catholic Churches , the measurement lesson of the Roman Catholic Church is usually used. In addition, there are "own texts" for individual Sundays and holidays, which are combined in a collection.
Authentic editions of the Roman Catholic Mass Lectionary
The celebration of Holy Mass. Measurement lesson. For the dioceses of the German-speaking area. Authentic edition for liturgical use. Benziger, Einsiedeln and Cologne; Herder, Freiburg and Basel; Friedrich Pustet, Regensburg; Herder, Vienna; St. Peter, Salzburg; Veritas, Linz.
- Volume I. Sundays and holidays in reading year A.  (new edition: autumn 2019)
- Volume II. The Sundays and Holidays in Reading Year B.  (New edition: Autumn 2020)
- Volume III. The Sundays and Holidays in Reading Year C.  (New edition: The Sundays and Holidays in Reading Year C , October 2018)
- Volume IV. Coined times. The days of the week and feast days of the saints in Advent and Christmas, Lent and Easter.  (new edition: autumn 2020)
- Volume V. Annual cycle 1. The days of the week and days of remembrance of the saints in the annual cycle. 1st - 17th Week.  (new edition: autumn 2021)
- Volume VI. Annual cycle 2. The days of the week and the days of remembrance of the saints in the annual cycle. 18.-34. Week.  (new edition: autumn 2022)
- Volume VII. Sacraments and Sacramentals. For the deceased.  (new edition: autumn 2019)
- Volume VIII. Masses for Special Issues. Votive masses.  (new edition: 2021)
- Collection of Marian masses. 
- Lectionary for church services with children. Study edition. Volume one: liturgical year and church. 
- Lectionary for church services with children. Study edition. Second volume: The Child's Life - Order of Life for Christians - Biblical Figures as Witnesses of Faith. (1985)
Lectionary of the Protestant Churches
- Lectionary according to the order of worship texts and songs Luther-Verlag Bielefeld and Evangelische Verlagsanstalt Leipzig, 2018.
- Pericope book according to the order of worship texts and songs. With introductory texts on Sundays and public holidays, published by the Liturgical Conference for the Evangelical Church in Germany. Luther-Verlag Bielefeld and Evangelische Verlagsanstalt Leipzig, 2018.
Old Catholic Church in Germany
- Lectionary - own texts for the Catholic Diocese of Old Catholics in Germany. Catholic Diocese of Old Catholics in Germany, Bonn 2013.
- Schott missal published by the Benedictines of the Beuron Archabbey
- Lectionary from Michelsberg Monastery in Bamberg as a digitized copy from the manuscript collection of the Bamberg State Library
- E. Velkovska: Lo studio dei lezionari bizantini . In: Ecclesia Orans 13 (1996) 253-271.
- The Bishops' Conferences of the German-Speaking Area (ed.). Gospels. The Gospels of Sundays and feast days in the read age A, B and C. A output . 2nd Edition. Herder publishing house. Freiburg 1985. ISBN 3-451-20460-6 .
- Tobias Dulisch: New Lectionaries with New Standardized Translation Press release of the Diocese of Mainz from August 3, 2018
- Center for Protestant worship and preaching culture: Pericope revision new  accessed on December 1, 2018.
- Joachim Vobbe : Bread from the stone valley. Episcopal letters. Alt-Katholischer Bistumsverlag, Bonn 2005, ISBN 3-934610-63-3 , p. 114