Ludwig Doerfler , also Dörfler , (born February 11, 1905 in Schillingsfürst ; † July 5, 1992 ibid) was a German painter . He achieved fame as the "Franconian painter". A museum in Schillingsfürst is dedicated to his work.
Doerfler was employed by the Bavarian State Police in Munich from 1925. In his free time and after work he attended a private painting school in Schwabing. In 1933 he began studying at the Academy of Fine Arts in Munich. During his twelve-semester training, he advanced to become a master student with Professor Julius Diez . Since his workshops in Munich were destroyed after the Second World War , Doerfler returned to his hometown in 1945. He joined the Rothenburg Artists' Association . From 1974 the artist acquired the house of the former district court and used it for exhibitions. In 1982 he informed the city that he intended to use this house for his estate. He bequeathed around 2,200 exhibits, his fortune and his furnishings to his hometown with the condition that they be used for a foundation.
The current museum building dates from 1841 and was used as a princely court. Between 1900 and 1904 it was rebuilt and remained the seat of the Bavarian Regional Court until it was acquired by Doerfler. The building was renovated and rebuilt in 1993 and 1994 and opened on April 20, 1997 as a gallery and house for various events. While a permanent exhibition of Doerfler's works with pictures of his native Franconia , landscape paintings , portraits, still lifes and impressions from his travels to Spain, Italy and France is shown on the ground floor, the upper floor is used for changing exhibitions.
Prizes and awards
- 1st prize for graphics during his studies
- Mond's scholarship
- Scholarship from the Nuremberg Albrecht Dürer Foundation
- Travel grant from the City of Munich
- Bamberg scholarship from the Freiherr von Ostheim Foundation. Dörfler received this award twice. The first time in 1939, the outbreak of World War II prevented the six-month stay in Paris that went with it. In 1957 he received the scholarship a second time and used it to travel to Italy.
- In 1976 Doerfler was awarded the citizen medal of the city of Schillingsfürst and
- 1980 then the honorary citizenship of his hometown.
- Ludwig Doerfler Museum at ludwig-doerfler-museum.de
- Ludwig Doerfler on art-and-art.de
- Literature by and about Ludwig Doerfler in the catalog of the German National Library
- Archived copy ( Memento of the original from March 13, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Franconian painter; Doerfler, Ludwig|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 11, 1905|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Schillingsfürst|
|DATE OF DEATH||5th July 1992|
|Place of death||Schillingsfürst|