The Mariinsky Theater ( Russian Марии́нский теа́тр ) is one of the most famous opera and ballet houses in the world. The building is located on St. Petersburg's Theater Square; many important Russian operas and ballets were premiered here. It is the home of the Kirov Ballet , which is still popular when it appears abroad . The ballet now bears the official name of the Ballet Company of the Mariinsky Theater .
The building, erected by Alberto Cavos in 1860, was originally named after Maria Alexandrovna of Hessen-Darmstadt , the wife of Tsar Alexander II . When the building of the Bolshoi Theater proved to be dilapidated in 1886 , the Imperial Opera and Ballet moved to the Mariinsky Theater under the artistic director Ivan Vsevoloschski . In 1919 it was first given the name GATOB ( Gosudarstwennyj akademitscheski teatr opery i baleta , German "State Academic Opera and Ballet Theater") and was renamed the Kirov Theater in 1935 after the chairman of the Leningrad Soviet, Sergei Kirov , who was murdered in 1934. It has had its original name since 1992.
The building holds 2000 spectators. The auditorium is richly decorated in blue, white and gold. Very extensive restoration and renovation work under the direction of the architect Dominique Perrault began in 2006 and was completed in 2009. The acoustics of the concert hall were planned by Yasuhisa Toyota and his company. The new theater building was inaugurated on May 2, 2013 in the presence of Russian President Vladimir Putin (cost 550 million euros).
The theater stage (hence the rehearsal room) has a slope of 4% so that the formations of the ballet performances can be viewed optimally.
The chief conductor, artistic director and director of the theater is Valery Abissalovich Gergiev .
- 1873 - Rimsky-Korsakow : Pskowitjanka (opera)
- 1874 - Mussorgsky : Boris Godunow (opera)
- 1880 - Rimski-Korsakow: The May Night (Opera)
- 1881 - Tchaikovsky : The Maid of Orléans (Opera)
- 1882 - Rimski-Korsakow: Snow Maiden (Opera)
- 1887 - Tchaikovsky: The Sorceress (Opera)
- 1890 - Borodin : Prince Igor (opera)
- 1890 - Tchaikovsky: Queen of Spades (opera); Sleeping Beauty (Ballet)
- 1892 - Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker (Ballet); Jolanthe (opera)
- 1892 - Rimsky-Korsakov: Mlada
- 1895 - Rimsky-Korsakow: The Night Before Christmas (Opera)
- 1898 - Glasunow : Raymonda (Ballet)
- 1902 - Rimsky-Korsakow: Servilia (Opera)
- 1907 - Rimsky-Korsakow: The legend of the invisible city of Kitesch and of the virgin Fevronija (opera)
- 1930 - Deschewow : Ice and Steel (Opera)
- Normal coupling: II / I, III / I, III / II
- Sub-octave coupling: II / I, III / I, III / II, III / III
- Chamaden at I, II, III, P.
- mariinsky.ru Official Website (Russian, English)
- Detailed information about the Mariinsky Theater (German)
- Mariinsky Today Calendar (English)