|Rajong municipality :||Molėtai|
|Coordinates :||55 ° 15 ′ N , 25 ° 25 ′ E|
|Inhabitants (place) :||5,762 (2017)|
|Time zone :||EET (UTC + 2)|
Molėtai (German, 18th century: Mulau ) is a town with 5762 inhabitants (as of 2017) and the seat of the Rajongemeinde Molėtai in the Utena district in eastern Lithuania . The area of the city is 3.77 km². It forms its own urban district ( miesto seniūnija ) in the municipality .
Molėtai is located 30 kilometers south of Utena , 63 kilometers north of the Lithuanian capital Vilnius , on the Vilnius – Utena road on the Siesartis .
The place was first mentioned in a document in 1387, which the Polish King and Lithuanian Grand Duke Jogaila issued to the church servants from Vilnius for the area around Molėtai. In the 19th century numerous merchants and craftsmen settled there, which led to rapid growth.
The town has a Catholic church (built in 1907), a regional museum , a hospital, a cultural center, the post office (LT-33001) and the Molėtai District Court. From Molėtai there are highways to Ukmergė , Pabradė , Labanoras and Anykščiai .
- Arminas Lydeka (* 1968), politician, Seimas member
- Danius Lygis (* 1948), ecologist, lecturer and politician
- Aldona Balsienė (* 1952), trade unionist and politician
- Marius Ivaškevičius (* 1973), journalist, prose and screenwriter, playwright and director
- Jonas Liesys (* 1952), politician
- Valentinas Mazuronis (* 1953), architect and politician
- Artūras Žurauskas (* 1961), administrative lawyer and diplomat
- City of Molėtai (Lithuanian)
- ↑ Resident population by age group by county and municipality, 2017. (xls) (No longer available online.) Statistics Lithuania, archived from the original on February 25, 2017 ; accessed on February 24, 2017 (English). Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ↑ litauen.info: Moletai