from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nakayoshi ( Japanese な か よ し , translated "good friends") is a Japanese manga magazine that has been published monthly by the Kōdansha publishing house since 1954 . It is aimed primarily at young girls of elementary and middle school age; the comics published in the magazine are therefore to be assigned to the Shōjo genre.

An edition of Nakayoshi is over 400 pages long and contains between ten and fifteen comic series episodes or completed comic short stories. In 1997, 65 percent of the magazine's readers are said to have been elementary school students, the remaining 35 percent to middle school students.

Release history

The first issue of Nakayoshi published in December 1954. This was the first monthly manga magazine for girls, before the competition magazine Ribon of the Shueisha -Verlages.

In the 1950s and 1960s, male illustrators dominated the magazine (including Jirō Tsunoda and Osamu Tezuka ), as well as in Shōjo manga in general. From 1963 to 1966, Osamu Tezuka drew a revised version of his classic Ribon no Kishi , the first story manga for girls, for the magazine .

Candy Candy by Yumiko Igarashi and Kyōko Mizuki was one of the main titles for the magazine in the 1970s. From 1979 to 1982 Shizue Takanashi brought her manga series Hello Kurt! found out a girl's friendship with an antromorphic dog in Nakayoshi . In 1979 the magazine had a circulation of around 1.8 million, making it more successful than its competitors Ribon and Ciao . However, sales declined in the years that followed, falling below 1.5 million. Ciao and Ribon took over the leadership positions.

A big boost for the magazine came in the 1990s with the publication of Naoko Takeuchi's hit manga series Sailor Moon . The series about five young people, who use magical powers to protect the world from evil, was implemented as an anime television series and as merchandise material shortly after its appearance in Nakayoshi . In 1993 the magazine had a circulation of 2.1 million. CLAMP contributed to the success with Magic Knight Rayearth (1993–1996) and especially Card Captor Sakura (1996–2000). After the termination of Sailor Moon in 1998, the circulation fell sharply; In 2000 it was only around 500,000.

In the 2000s, in response to the overwhelming success of Sailor Moon, other Magical Girl mangas ran at Nakayoshi . Tokyo Mew Mew by Mia Ikumi and Reiko Yoshida and Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch by Michiko Yokote and Pink Hanamori have also been marketed as cartoons. From 2003 Moyoco Anno ( Sugar Sugar Rune ) and Koge-Donbo ( Kamichama Karin ) worked for the magazine, although both had previously drawn primarily for an older readership than those to whom Nakayoshi was aimed. Haruka Fukushima , Michiyo Kikuta , Peach-Pit and Natsumi Andō also draw for the magazine. In 2005, this only had sales figures of around 457,000 per issue; in 2016, the sold circulation was 103,000.

Web links

Individual evidence

  1. a b Jason Thompson: Manga. The Complete Guide . Del Rey, New York 2007, ISBN 978-0-345-48590-8 , p. 335. (English)
  2. Matt Thorn: Shoujo Manga Magazines
  3. a b c d Editions of Shōjo magazines from 1979 to 2000 ( Memento from December 27, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
  4. Girl's Manga. Japanese Magazine Publishers Association, September 2016, accessed April 12, 2017 (Japanese).