Nita Bieber was born in Los Angeles in 1926. She grew up in a musical family: her father was a pianist , her mother a dancer. Like her four younger siblings, Nita began taking dance lessons at the age of five. After graduating from Hollywood High School, Bieber performed with the United Service Organizations in front of US troops during World War II . After the war she became a member of the Jack Cole Dancers , with whom she toured the United States for five months.
In 1946, Bieber signed with Columbia Pictures and appeared in several minor supporting roles over the next two years. This included appearances as a dancer in Der Jazzsänger and as Hilda in the short film Rhythm and Weep by the comedian trio The Three Stooges . In 1948 a contract with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer followed . She has also appeared in Universal Studios films . Her best-known role was played by Bieber in 1950 as Sarah Higgins in the musical Summer Stock at the side of Judy Garland and Gene Kelly . In 1955 she ended her career as an actress. In total, Bieber appeared in a dozen films in her career, which lasted only nine years.
In the early 1950s, Bieber founded her own dance group , The Nita Bieber Dancers , with whom she appeared in two episodes of the television show The Colgate Comedy Hour with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis . They also performed at El Rancho Vegas and the New Frontier Hotel in Las Vegas .
Nita Bieber had been married to the dentist Jack Wall since 1949 and was the mother of two children. She lived in Avalon, California, until her death in early February 2019 .
- 1946: Talk About A Lady
- 1946: Rhythm and Weep (short film)
- 1946: The Jazz Singer (The Jolson Story)
- 1947: The Lone Wolf in Mexico
- 1947: Little Miss Broadway
- 1947: News Hounds
- 1950: A Lady Without Passport
- 1950: Summer Stock
- 1950: Jerry Gray and the Band of Today
- 1951: The Prince Who Was a Thief
- 1952: Don Cornell Sings (short film)
- 1954: The Colgate Comedy Hour (TV show, two episodes)
- 1955: Kismet
- Nita Bieber in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- official website (English)
- Nita Bieber at Turner Classic Movies (English)
- Nita Bieber in the database of Find a Grave (English)
- Mike Barnes: Nita Bieber, Former Dancer, Actress and MGM Contract Player, Dies at 92. In: The Hollywood Reporter . February 6, 2019, accessed February 7, 2019 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American actress and dancer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 18, 1926|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Los Angeles , California , United States|
|DATE OF DEATH||4th February 2019|
|Place of death||Rancho Palos Verdes , California, United States|