Oscar Fraentzel studied medicine in Berlin as a pupil of the Friedrich Wilhelm Institute for military medical training. In 1856 he became a member of the Corps Neoborussia . Ludwig Traube was one of his academic teachers . In 1860 he was promoted to Dr. med is doing his doctorate. From 1861 to 1865 he was a military doctor in the Rhineland, on the Russian-Polish border and in the German-Danish War . He then worked as a medical officer and general practitioner. From 1867 to 1869 he was Ludwig Traube's assistant. From 1869 to 1873 he was in charge of the inner ward of the Kaiserin Augusta Hospital . In 1870 he was given the management of a subsidiary department for sick men at the Charité . In the same year he completed his habilitation. In 1875 he was appointed associate professor and taught auscultation , percussion , laryngoscopy and lung diseases . In 1893 he gave up his job due to health reasons.
Fraentzel was considered a trained diagnostician. He worked on diseases of the respiratory and circulatory organs. Furthermore, he studied febrile crises in relapsing fever , the congenital narrowness of the blood vessel system and the overworking of the heart and researched the treatment of tuberculosis with creosote. He discovered the endothelia surrounding the ganglia .
Oscar Fraentzel was awarded the title of Secret Medical Council.
- De sclerotico-chorioideitide posteriore, 1860
- Contribution to the knowledge of the structure of the spinal and sympathetic ganglion cells, 1867
- Handbook of Diseases of the Respiratory Apparatus, 1877 (together with Bernhard Fraenkel , Franz Riegel )
- Further remarks on the behavior of the tubercle bacilli in the sputum during the course of pulmonary consumption, 1883
- Lectures on Diseases of the Heart, 1889–1892
- Julius Pagel : Fraentzel, Oscar . In: Biographical lexicon of outstanding doctors of the nineteenth century. Urban & Schwarzenberg, Berlin / Vienna 1901, Sp. 539-540 .
- Julius Pagel: Fraentzel, Oscar . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 48, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1904, p. 720.
- Kösener Corpslisten 1960, 27 , 124
- Hans-Jürgen Mende: Lexicon of Berlin burial places . Pharus-Plan, Berlin 2018, ISBN 978-3-86514-206-1 , p. 751.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Fraentzel, Oscar Maximilian Victor|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German physician and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 4, 1838|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Meseritz , East Brandenburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 19, 1894|
|Place of death||Berlin|