Dutton wrote phonetic poetry early on and was a member of the poet group The Four Horsemen between 1970 and 1988 (with Rafael Barreto-Rivera , Steve McCaffery and bpNichol ). With PC Fencott he released the album Blues, Roots, Legends, Shouts & Hollers in 1980 . He then worked with John Oswald and Michael Snow and has been a member of the CCMC improvisation ensemble since 1989 . He could be seen at poetry festivals in Germany, France and Venezuela as well as at music festivals in Canada, Argentina and the Netherlands.
He has also performed with John Butcher , Bob Ostertag , Phil Durrant , John Russell , Lee Ranaldo , Christian Marclay , Günter Christmann , Thomas Charmetant, Xavier Charles and Jacques Di Donato . With Jaap Blonk , Koichi Makigami, Phil Minton and David Moss he founded the group Five Men Singing , which performed at the festival in Victoriaville.
Prizes and awards
Dutton received the bpNichol Chapbook Award in 1989 . In 1998 he received a Villa Waldberta scholarship . In 2007 he received the Dora Mavor Moore Award from the Toronto Association of Performing Arts .
- The Book of Numbers (Porcupine's Quill, 1979).
- Right Hemisphere, Left Ear (Coach House Press, 1979).
- Visionary Portraits (Mercury Press, 1991) ISBN 978-0-920544-80-8
- Aurealities (Coach House Books, 1991) ISBN 0-88910-414-X
- The Plastic Typewriter (Underwhich Editions, 1993) ISBN 0-88658-087-0
- Partial Additives (Writers Forum, c / o Underwhich Editions, 1994) ISBN 0-86162-551-X
- Several Women Dancing (Mercury Press, 2002) ISBN 978-1-55128-096-7
- with The Four Horsemen
- Horse D'Oeuvres (General Publishing, 1975)
- The Prose Tattoo (Membrane Press, 1983)
- with Sandra Braman
- Spokesheards (Longspoon Press, 1983)
- Best Canadian Essays 1990. (Fifth House Publishers, 1990).
- Hard Times: A New Fiction Anthology. (Mercury Press, 1990).
- Carnival. ( Insomniac Press , 1996).
- The Echoing Years: Contemporary Canadian & Irish Verse (School of Humanities Publications, Waterford Institute of Technology, 2007)
- In Fine Form: The Canadian Book of Form Poetry (Polestar, 2005)
- Fümms bö wö taä zää uu: Voices and sounds of sound poetry , (Scholzverlag, 2002); ISBN 978-3-9521258-8-5
- Blues, Roots, Legends, Shouts & Hollers (Starborne Productions LP, STB-0180, 1980)
- Mouth Pieces (OHM Éditions, 2000) AVTR 021
- Oralizations (Ambiances Magnétiques, 2005) AM 130
- Portrait (poets.ca, archived) ( Memento from March 18, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- Portrait (Little Red Umbrella)
- Five Men Singing
- Coach House Press
- Examples (PennSound)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Canadian poet, author and improvisation musician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Toronto|