life and work
Christian Marclay's parents are Swiss, he grew up in Geneva and from 1975 studied fine arts at the École Supérieure d'Art Visuel in Geneva . In 1977 he moved to the USA and studied sculpture at the Massachusetts College of Art in Boston . Originally inspired by Fluxus , Marclay's works explore the common patterns of sound , photography , video and film art . In 1979 he founded the performance group "The Bachelors, even" with the guitarist Kurt Henry and realized his first pieces with records and turntables. Thus he belongs to the co-inventor of turntablism . He also developed monumental sculptural works like Endless Column (1988) and Drumkit (1999).
For his performances he uses records and other sound carriers, which he manipulates, deforms or even destroys in order to achieve sound effects such as endless loops. Marclay says of himself that he generally prefers inexpensive second-hand records from thrift stores.
He has worked with artists and musicians such as John Zorn , Butch Morris , Shelley Hirsch , William Hooker , Otomo Yoshihide and Okkyung Lee , Günter Müller , Flo Kaufmann and CCMC . In 2009 he won the Prix Meret Oppenheim .
At the opening of the 54th Venice Biennale on June 4, 2011, he received the Golden Lion as best artist for his work The Clock (2010). "Record without a Cover" was included on The Wire's 100 Records That Set The World On Fire (While No One Was Listening) . In 2011 he received the Boston Society of Film Critics Award for Best Editing for The Clock .
- 2015/16: Christian Marclay. Shake Rattle and Roll , Staatsgalerie , Stuttgart
- 2015: Performance II , White Cube Bermondsey , London
- 2013: Manga Scroll , Weserburg Museum for Modern Art , Bremen
- 2013: Damage Control: Art and Destruction Since 1950 , Hirschhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden ( Smithsonian Institution ), Washington
- 2011: The Clock , Biennale di Venezia
- 2008: Cycloptically: Honk if you love silence , Musée d'art moderne et contemporain (Mamco), Geneva
- 2007: Replay, Cité de la musique , Paris
- 2005: Christian Marclay , Barbican Art Gallery , London
- 2004: The sounds of christmas , Tate Modern , London
- 2004: Kunstmuseum Thun (also: Collection Lambert), Avignon;
- 2003: Bard College , Annandale-on-Hudson; UCLA Hammer Museum , Los Angeles
- 1999: Video installation telephones , Staatstheater Darmstadt , as part of the production of The Human Voice - Monodrama for a Woman and a Telephone (Director: Kay Link )
- 1997: Pictures at an Exhibition , Whitney Museum of American Art at Philip Morris, New York; Arranged and Conducted , Kunsthaus Zurich .
- 1995: Accompagnement Musical , Musée d'art et d'histoire , Geneva
- 1995: Amplification , Biennale di Venezia, Chiesa San Stae , Venice
- 1994: Christian Marclay , DAAD Gallery , Berlin; Fri Art - Center d'art contemporain , Friborg.
- 1990: Directions: Christian Marclay , Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden , Smithsonian Institution , Washington, DC
- 1987: Christian Marclay , The Clocktower, PS1 , New York.
- Literature by and about Christian Marclay in the catalog of the German National Library
- A performance for turntables and cutting lathe Christian Marclay and FLo Kaufmann
- Ruhrtriennale 2012: Christian Marclay: Everyday (concert, film, performance)
- http://www.festwochen.at: Wiener Festwochen 2013: Christian Marclay: Everyday (concert / film / performance)
- Françoise Jaunin: Marclay, Christian. In: Sikart
- Review by Thom Jurek on allmusic.com (English), accessed on November 3, 2011.
- Prix Meret Oppenheim 2009
- Official Awards of the 54th International Art Exhibition at labiennale.org, June 4, 2011 (accessed December 30, 2015).
- nationalacademy.org: Living Academicians "M" / Marclay, Christian, NA 2013 ( Memento of the original from September 23, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (accessed on July 1, 2015)
- Christian Marclay (January 28 - April 12, 2015) (accessed June 2, 2015)
- mamco.ch: Christian Marclay, Honk if you love silence ( Memento of the original from July 1, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (accessed July 1, 2015)
- cite-musique.fr: Médiathèque: Christian Marclay: Replay (French, accessed on July 1, 2015)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss-American artist and composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1955|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||San Rafael , California|