The city belongs to the District of Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon and lies on the River Bann . In the 2001 Census , Portadown was part of the Craigavon Urban Area , so no population was determined for the city. The estimated population is around 22,000. In the 1990s, Portadown became known as the scene of clashes over a march of the Orange Order across Northern Ireland. Since 1998, the annual July march to Church in Drumcree has not passed through Garvaghy Road, which is inhabited by Irish nationalist Catholics .
sons and daughters of the town
- Phillip McCallen (* 1963), British motorcycle racer
- Michael O'Neill (* 1969), British football player and coach
- Tim Mullen (* 1976), British racing car driver
- Aaron McCusker (* 1978), Northern Irish actor
- Adam Carroll (* 1982), British racing car driver
- Area Profile of Craigavon Urban Area (Including Bleary) - Based on 2001 Census at the Northern Ireland Neighborhood Information Service (NINIS, accessed January 26, 2012).
- Northern Ireland: Large contingent in Portadown. Spiegel Online , July 5, 1999 (accessed January 26, 2012).