Presidential election in Colombia 2018
The first round of the 2018 presidential election in Colombia took place on Sunday, May 27, 2018 . The incumbent President Juan Manuel Santos was not allowed to run again after two consecutive terms. The new President was elected for the first time in 2018 for a maximum term of four years - August 7, 2018 to August 7, 2022; the possibility of later re-election was abolished by a decision of the Constitutional Court in 2015. Since none of the candidates had received the necessary absolute majority of all valid votes in the first round , a run-off election between the two candidates with the highest number of votes, Iván Duque and Gustavo Petro , took place on June 17, 2018 . From this Duque emerged as the winner.
The 2018 presidential election was widely seen as a vote on the peace process between the government and the former FARC guerrillas . A total of five candidates could calculate their chances for the presidency. The right-wing conservative camp started with Iván Duque and ex-Vice-President Germán Vargas Lleras . Above all, opportunities were also given to the former mayor of the capital Bogotá , the center-left politician Gustavo Petro , and the ex-governor of the Department of Antioquia , Sergio Fajardo .
Further back in the polls was Humberto de La Calle , the incumbent government's chief negotiator in the peace negotiations with the FARC. The former rebel organization wanted to take part in the elections for the first time as a political party with Rodrigo Londoño as a candidate. In March 2018, however, the FARC announced its waiver because Londoño had health problems.
A notable feature of this election was the formation of political movements by some of the aspirants. These rejected the political parties involved in their respective corruption scandals as vehicles for the implementation of their political goals. Many of the presidential candidates chose the signature collection route to avoid being brought into connection with alleged acts of corruption by members of certain political parties. In total, eleven applicants submitted 15,999,585 signatures, a number that exceeded the total number of valid votes (12,871,598) registered in the first round of the 2014 presidency.
All of these groups are political movements in the shadow of a party.
- Germán Vargas Lleras - 5,500,491 - Mejor Vargas Lleras
- Alejandro Ordóñez - 2,185,065 - La Patria De Pie
- Carlos Caicedo Omar - 2,053,395 - Fuerza Ciudadana
- Piedad Córdoba - 1,293,824 - Poder Ciudadano
- Sergio Fajardo - 981.529 - Compromiso Ciudadano
- Juan Carlos Pinzón - 863.496 - Ante Todo Colombia
- Gustavo Petro - 830,000 - Colombia Humana
- Marta Lucía Ramírez - 810.228 - Por una Colombia honesta y fuerte - Martha Lucía
- Frank Pearl - 522.150 - Creemos País´
- Luis Herlindo Mendieta Ovalle - 480,000 - Patria Nueva
- Jairo Clopatofsky - 479.407 - Movimiento Independiente Promover por Colombia
The voting preferences of Colombian voters vary greatly between the individual departments . In the period from November 23 to 26, 2017, the three applicants were Gustavo Petro (17%), Sergio Fajardo (15%) and Germán Vargas Lleras (14%), according to a survey by the institute “Cifras & Conceptos” for Caracol Radio and the news agency RED Noticias , a stalemate .
According to a study by the Institute EcoAnalitica in Antioquia and in the Eje Cafetero , Iván Duque was ahead in this area, although he does not come from this region of the country. Second place was held by Sergio Fajardo, who was formerly the governor of Antioquia and mayor of Medellín . For the capital city region of Bogotá and the rest of the country, the former Lord Mayor of Bogotá Gustavo Petro (19.3%) was the favorite.
In another representative survey by the market research institute Invamer in December 2017 with analyzes of social media in Colombia, Sergio Fajardo (18.7%) was clearly ahead of all other competitors.
Most promising candidates
- Ivan Duque (41.3%)
- Gustavo Petro (31.0%)
- Sergio Fajardo (13.3%)
- Germán Vargas Lleras (7.9%) and
- Humberto de La Calle (2.5%)
In the first round of the presidential election on May 27, 2018, three candidates won a total of 88% of all votes.
In the second round of voting, the two best-placed candidates Iván Duque and Gustavo Petro competed against each other. Duque won with almost 54% of the votes, which he got mainly in the less populated areas of Colombia, while his opponent was ahead in the big cities. In both voting rounds, the turnout was around 53%.
|candidate||Party / alliance||First round||Second round|
|be right||%||be right||%|
|Ivan Duque||Gran Alianza por Colombia||7,569,693||39.14||10,373,080||53.98|
|Gustavo Petro||Lista de la Decencia||4,851,254||25.09||8,034,189||41.81|
|Sergio Fajardo||Coalición Colombia||4,589,696||23.73|
|Germán Vargas Lleras||Mejor Vargas Lleras||1,407,840||7.28|
|Humberto de La Calle||Partido Liberal -ASI||399.180||2.06|
|Jorge Antonio Trujillo||Movimiento Todos Somos Colombia||75,614||0.39|
|Promoters Voto En Blanco||Partido de Reivindicación Étnica "PRE"||60,312||0.31|
|Viviane Morales Hoyos||Somos Región Colombia||41,458||0.21|
|Blank ballot papers||341.087||1.76||808.368||4.20|
|Registered voters / participation||36.227.267||53.37||36,783,940||53.04|
|Sources: El Tiempo Government of Colombia|
- Announcement of the National Registry of Colombia. (PDF) In: registraduria.gov.co. Retrieved January 19, 2018 (Spanish).
- Conservative candidate Duque wins election in Colombia azonline.de/dpa. Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- De La Calle is running for presidency in Colombia. In: amerika21.com. Retrieved May 29, 2018 .
- Farc with his own candidate. In: taz.de. Retrieved January 19, 2018 .
- Ex-Farc rebels withdraw from Colombia's presidential election . In: The Standard . March 8, 2018, accessed March 8, 2018 .
- Cuál es el impacto de que haya tantos candidatos con firmas? In: eltiempo.com. Retrieved January 21, 2018 (Spanish).
- Más companies que votos: listos los candidatos sin partido . In: semana.com. January 21, 2018, accessed June 17, 2018 (Spanish).
- Mejor Vargas Lleras
- La Patria De Pie
- Fuerza Ciudadana
- or Ciudadano
- Compromiso Ciudadano
- Juan Carlos Pinzón
- Gustavo Petro
- Marta Lucía Ramírez
- Creemos País
- Patria Nueva
- Así está la intención de voto para las presidenciales: encuesta para Caracol Radio y RED + Noticias. In: caracol.com.co. Retrieved January 20, 2018 (Spanish).
- Ivan Duque's campaign website ivanduque.com, accessed January 22, 2018 (Spanish)
- Los candidatos todavía no son muy conocidos en las regiones eltiempo.com, from December 17, 2017 (Spanish)
- Fajardo lidera encuesta de Invamer kienyke.com, December 7, 2017 (Spanish)
- Encuesta Invamer: Duque sigue líder, Petro le recorta terreno. In: semana.com. Retrieved May 6, 2018 (Spanish).
- Duque y Petro se consolidan en encuesta presidencial. In: portafolio.co. Retrieved April 28, 2018 (Spanish).
- Right Duque and Left Petro go to runoff in Colombia. Deutsche Welle, May 28, 2018, accessed June 16, 2018 .