The Franzburg manor was a manor in Gehrden in Lower Saxony that was built around 1650. The manor house was demolished in 1967. Only parts of the manor wall and the gate structures remain. The former estate park is now open to the public as Ottomar-von-Reden-Park .
The forerunner of the manor complex was Gehrden Castle as a small medieval fortification east of the town center. The fortification was called Franzburg . The castle was a fief connected, which was owned by the family of Sürssen. After the end of their sex, Franz von Reden was enfeoffed with the estate in 1590. Nothing is known about the decline of the castle. In 1650 Franz von Reden built the Franzburg as a manor about 500 meters south of the former castle site. The Franzburg buildings were renovated as half-timbered buildings in 1780 . This included a two-storey mansion, a park-like garden with ponds and old trees. According to a description from 1912, it was in good condition. At the time, the estate had 330 hectares of land, including almost 50 hectares of forest.
The last owner of the Franzburg was Ottomar von Reden (1888–1959). In addition to the estate and the manor house, he donated larger lands to the Hanover district in 1959 . In 1967 the manor house and the manor buildings were demolished because they were in disrepair.
The walled park of the former manor is now a cultural monument .
- The manors of the principalities of Calenberg, Göttingen and Grubenhagen. Description, history, legal relationships and 121 illustrations. Published by Gustav Stölting-Eimbeckhausen and Börries Freiherr von Münchhausen-Moringen at the decision of the knighthood and with the participation of the individual owners. Hannover, 1912, pp. 67-71
- Werner Fütterer: The Franzburg , in other words: Gehrden. Vom Flecken zur Großgemeinde , 1st edition, Gehrden, [Burgfeld 15]: W. Fütterer [self-publisher], 1976, pp. 201-203
- Monument topography of the Federal Republic of Germany , architectural monuments in Lower Saxony, district of Hanover, Volume 13.1, edited by Hans-Herbert Möller , edited by Henner Hannig, Friedrich Vieweg & Sohn, Braunschweig / Wiesbaden, 1988. ISBN 3-528-06207-X , p. 205.
- Extensive description of the Franzburg and historical photos
- Description of the Ottomar-von-Reden-Park at hannover.de
- Dirk Wirausky: Historical walk in pictures with a photo of the manor in: Hannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung from October 20, 2017
- Heimatbund shows the history of Franzburg with a photo of the manor in: Neue Presse from April 19, 2018
- Excursion destinations in the Hanover region: Where the Franzburg used to be, today fresh green is growing at myheimat.de