Robert Bartlett (historian)
Robert Bartlett , CBE (born November 27, 1950 in London ) is an English historian and medievalist .
Bartlett studied at the Peterhouse College of the University of Cambridge , St John's College , Oxford and Princeton University and has received research grants at several institutions, including the University of Michigan and Georg August University of Göttingen , and has taught at the University of Edinburgh , University of Chicago and the University of St. Andrews , where he currently resides. In 1983/84 he was a member of the School of History at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton for the first time , and he will return there in 2014/2015.
He currently holds the Bishop Wardlaw Professorship in Medieval History at the University of St Andrews . He is currently considered one of the world's most important experts in medieval history. His work The Making of Europe: Conquest, Colonization and Cultural Change, 950-1350 (German: "The birth of Europe from the spirit of violence") was awarded the Wolfson History Prize in 1993. In 1997 he was elected a member ( Fellow ) of the British Academy . His scientific research focuses on the history of colonization in the Middle Ages, the cult of saints and the history of England from the 11th to the 14th centuries.
He gave the Ford Lectures in Oxford in 2007. For British television he wrote and presented the series Inside the Medieval Soul , a four-part BBC documentary , aired in 2008 as part of a series on the Middle Ages.
- Gerald of Wales . A voice of the Middle Ages . Detailed res. Tempus Press, Stroud 2006, ISBN 0-7524-4031-4 .
- Trial by fire and water. The medieval judicial ordeal . Clarendon Press, Oxford 1999, ISBN 0-19-821973-3 .
- The birth of Europe from the spirit of violence. Conquest, colonization and cultural change from 950 to 1350 ("The Making of Europe. Conquest, Colonization and Cultural Change, 950-1350"). Droemer Knaur, Munich 1998, ISBN 3-426-77321-X .
- England Under the Norman and Angevin Kings. 1075-1225. Clarendon Press, Oxford 2000, ISBN 0-19-822741-8 (The new Oxford History of England).
- The Hanged Man. A Story of Miracle, Memory and Colonialism in the Middle Ages . University Press, Princeton, NJ 2005, ISBN 978-0-691-12604-3 .
- The Natural and the Supernatural in the Middle Ages (The Wiles Lectures given at the Queen's University of Belfast, 2006). University Press, Cambridge 2008, ISBN 978-0-521-70255-3 .
- Medieval frontier societies . Clarendon Press, Oxford 1989, ISBN 0-19-822881-3 (together with Angus MacKay).
- Geoffrey of Burton: Life and miracles of St Modwenna (Oxford medieval texts). Clarendon Press, Oxford 2002, ISBN 978-0-19-820606-4 .
- The miracles of Saint Æbbe of Coldingham and Saint Margaret of Scotland . University Press, Oxford 2003, ISBN 0-19-925922-4 .
- Page at the University of St Andrews
- Publications by Robert J. Bartlett in the Opac der Regesta Imperii
- ↑ page at the IAS
- ^ Fellows: Robert Bartlett. British Academy, accessed August 30, 2020 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||English historian and medievalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 27, 1950|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||London|