Saira Shah is the daughter of an Afghan - Indian couple. Her father is Idries Shah , who was best known for his books on Sufism . She grew up in Kent and describes her family as "moderately Islamic". Shah traveled to Afghanistan for the first time at the age of 21, where she worked as a freelance journalist for three years and documented the mujahideen guerrilla war against the Red Army .
In 2001 , Shah traveled to Afghanistan again with the documentary filmmaker James Miller on behalf of Hardcash Productions . There the documentaries "Beneath the Veil" and "Unholy War" were created. For “Beneath the Veil”, Shah temporarily joined the Afghan women's rights organization RAWA . The team described the work as extremely difficult as filming was banned under the Taliban. Despite the use of hidden cameras, the crew was arrested several times. In “Unholy War” the recordings were allowed in the area of the Northern Alliance , but the poor supply situation and the rapid change in the situation caused major problems. The two films won the Peabody Award , and "Unholy War" also won an Emmy .
From 2003, Miller and Shah filmed “Death in Gaza” (“ Fatal Enemies - What the Intifada Children Feel ”) about the fate of individual children in the Gaza Strip. Miller was shot dead while filming in Rafah . The film was completed by Saira Shah and premiered at the 2004 Berlinale . "Death in Gaza" later received three Emmys and a BAFTA award.
- Producer: "Unholy War" (2001)
- Producer and Author: "Death in Gaza" (2004)
- The storyteller's daughter. My return to Afghanistan. Goldmann, Munich 2003, ISBN 3-442-30988-3
- Literature by and about Saira Shah in the catalog of the German National Library
- Woman's Hour: Saira Shah . One hour BBC radio feature, August 8, 2003
- Saira Shah in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Journalist Saira Shah: Life in Afghanistan under the Taliban . Interview Transcript, August 24, 2001, CNN Newsroom
- Journalists Behind 'Beneath the Veil' and 'Unholy War' Tell Their Stories . Transcript of a conversation on Larry King Live on December 26, 2001
- CNN Presents: Beneath the Veil and Unholy War ( Memento of the original from June 11, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. .
- Death in Gaza, Awards Internet Movie Database
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British writer, reporter and documentary director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||5th October 1964|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||London|