The Schmeil-Fitschen is one of several excursion flora to determine the higher plants ( vascular spore plants and seed plants ) in the German-speaking area. The area covered by the flora includes Germany , Denmark , the Netherlands , Belgium , Luxembourg , Switzerland , Liechtenstein , Austria , and about 100 km wide areas of the neighboring countries: France (Alsace, Vosges), Italy ( South Tyrol ), Poland .
The book was first published in 1903 by Erwin Nägele, Stuttgart and Leipzig; It takes its name from its founders Otto Schmeil and Jost Fitschen . It has been published by Quelle & Meyer since 1906 . After Schmeil's death in 1943 and Fitschen in 1947, Werner Rauh took over the publication of the 64th edition in 1954 , supported by Karlheinz Senghas from the 1960s onwards . Siegmund Seybold acted as editor until the 95th edition in 2011 . Since the 96th edition, published in 2016, the Schmeil-Fitschen has been edited by Gerald Parolly and Jens Gunter Rohwer .
According to the publisher, the total circulation is now "over 2.5 million copies sold". The full title was originally Flora of Germany and its neighboring areas , since the 89th edition (1993) renamed Flora Germany and neighboring countries . With the 93rd edition, it was expanded to such an extent that it could also be used for all of Austria. In the 95th edition published in 2011, the processing area was extended to Switzerland, Liechtenstein, South Tyrol and parts of the Czech Republic.
- Information on the publisher's website ( Memento of the original from June 25, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Accessed May 17, 2013
- Siegmund Seybold : Flora of Germany and neighboring countries. A book for identifying vascular plants that grow wild and often cultivated . Founded by Otto Schmeil , Jost Fitschen . 93rd completely revised and expanded edition. Quelle & Meyer, Wiebelsheim 2006, ISBN 3-494-01413-2 .
- Werner Rauh, Karlheinz Senghas: Forewords to the 81st, 70th and 64th edition. In: Werner Rauh, Karlheinz Senghas: Schmeil-Fitschen - Flora of Germany and its adjacent areas , 85th edition, 1973, pp. 5-6
- Information in the publisher's webshop , accessed April 17, 2017
- Siegmund Seybold : The flora of Germany and the neighboring countries. A book for identifying all wild and frequently cultivated vascular plants . Founded by Otto Schmeil , Jost Fitschen . 95th completely revised and expanded edition. Quelle & Meyer, Wiebelsheim 2011, ISBN 978-3-494-01498-2 .