Sebastian Brather (born June 28, 1964 in Potsdam ) is a German medieval archaeologist .
Sebastian Brather studied prehistory and early history , history and anthropology at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (HUB) from 1986 to 1991 , and in 1992/93 he received a doctoral scholarship from the State of Berlin . Since 1993, Brather has been a research assistant at the Chair for Prehistory and Early History at the HUB, and he received his doctorate in 1995 with a thesis on Feldberg Ceramics and the Early Slavs rated summa cum laude . Studies of north-west Slavic ceramics from the Carolingian era . In 1996/97 he was the holder of a travel grant from the German Archaeological Institute and in 1997 became a research associate on the sub-project C4 “Ethnic units in prehistoric Europe. Archaeological research and its political instrumentalization ”of the Collaborative Research Center 541“ Identities and Alterities. The Function of Alterity for the Constitution and Construction of Identity ”by the German Research Foundation at the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg . The habilitation took place in 2002 with a thesis on ethnic interpretations in prehistoric archeology. History, basics and alternatives in Freiburg. From 2002 to 2004 Brather worked as a research assistant at the seminar for prehistory and early history at the Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main . In 2004 he returned to Freiburg University, where he taught as a holder of a Heisenberg scholarship . A visiting professorship led him to the Institute for Pre- and Protohistory at the University of Vienna in 2004/05 . Since 2006 Brather has been teaching as professor for prehistoric archeology and archeology of the Middle Ages at the University of Freiburg.
Brather is primarily concerned with prehistoric archeology and medieval archeology, which includes the period from the turn of the ages, but especially from late antiquity to the late Middle Ages . He researches, for example, social structures, groups and roles in early medieval societies, which can be determined on the basis of the grave findings, the settlement, economy and society of the Western Slavs from “ Slavicization ” to Eastern settlement , the weight economy of the Viking Age , monasteries and settlement history in the late Middle Ages, especially the Cistercian convents and the development of settlements as part of the development of the country east of the Elbe since the 12th century, as well as the research and social history of archeology. Brather is a member of the Historical Commission for Silesia and since 2003 co-editor of the journal for archeology of the Middle Ages .
- Feldberger Keramik and early Slavs. Studies of north-west Slavic ceramics from the Carolingian era Habelt, Bonn 1996 (University research on prehistoric archeology, Volume 34; Writings on the archeology of Germanic and Slavic early history, Volume 1) ISBN 3-7749-2768-5
- Editor: Archeology as Social History. Studies on settlement, economy and society in prehistoric Central Europe. Festschrift for Heiko Steuer on his 60th birthday. Leidorf, Rahden 1999 (International Archeology. Studia honoraria, Volume 9) ISBN 3-89646-389-6
- Archeology of the Western Slavs. Settlement, economy and society in early and high medieval East-Central Europe. de Gruyter, Berlin-New York 2001 ( Real Lexicon of Germanic Archeology , Volume 30)
- Ethnic interpretations in prehistoric archeology. History, basics and alternatives. de Gruyter, Berlin-New York 2004 ( Real Lexicon of Germanic Classical Studies , Volume 42)
- Editor with Christine Kratzke: On the way to the Germania Slavica concept. Perspectives on history, archeology, onomastics and art history since the 19th century. Leipziger Universitäts-Verlag, Leipzig 2005 (GWZO-Arbeitshilfen 3) ISBN 3-86583-108-7
- Editor: Between Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages. Archeology of the 4th to 7th centuries in the west. de Gruyter, Berlin-New York 2008 ( Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde , Volume 57) ISBN 978-3-11-020049-2
- Archeology of the Western Slavs. Settlement, economy and society in early and high medieval East-Central Europe. de Gruyter, Berlin-New York 2008 ( Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde , Volume 61) ISBN 978-3-11-020609-8
- Literature by and about Sebastian Brather in the catalog of the German National Library
- Brather on the website of the University of Freiburg , accessed on December 4, 2012
- List of publications , accessed on December 4, 2012
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German medieval archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 28, 1964|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Potsdam|