Siegfried G. Richter
Siegfried Richter is the son of the miner Herbert Richter, who comes from Stuhlseifen , and his wife Waltraud Richter, b. Lauterbach, from Lichtenwalde in Silesia. After graduating from high school (1980) and extended community service , he began studying philosophy , Egyptology and classical archeology in Münster from the 1983 summer semester , where he obtained his Magister Artium in 1989 in the subjects of Coptology , Egyptology and Christian Archeology . Since 1990 he has been working at the Manichaeism Research Unit at the University of Münster . After receiving his doctorate in Coptology in 1993 with the dissertation exegetical-literary-critical examinations of Heracles' psalms of the Coptic-Manichaean Psalms , he taught at the Institute for Egyptology and Coptic Studies from 1994/1995, from 2003 to 2005 at the Oriental Seminar in Bonn as a lecturer for the Christian Orient and in 2004 at of the Theological Faculty of the University of Friborg . In 1999 he was awarded the Alexander Böhling Prize for the monograph Die Aufstiegspsalmen des Herakleides. Studies on the ascension of souls and the soul mass among the Manichaeans were excellent. After completing his habilitation in 2000 in Coptic Studies with the thesis Studies on the Christianization of Nubia , he represented the professorship for the Philologies of the Christian Orient and Coptic Studies at the University of Munich from 2004 to 2007 . In 2008 he was appointed adjunct professor in the philology department at the University of Münster. He is a research assistant (responsible for the New Testament in Coptic tradition) at the Novum Testamentum Graece - Editio Critica Maior .
His scientific areas of interest are the New Testament in Coptic tradition, Coptic Egypt and Christian Nubia, research on Manichaeism and the history of magic. He was a board member of the International Association of Manichaean Studies (Treasurer 1996-2005), and is a. a. Member of the editorial board of the journal “Coptica” (since 2001) and member of the editorial board of Nag Hammadi and Manichaean Studies (since 2003).
- Exegetical-literary-critical investigations of Herakleidespsalms of the Coptic-Manichaean Psalms Book (= work on late antique and Coptic Egypt. Volume 5). Oros-Verlag, Altenberge 1994, ISBN 3-89375-091-6 (also dissertation, Münster 1993).
- The Ascension Psalms of Herakleides. Investigations into the ascension of souls and the soul mass among the Manichaeans (= languages and cultures of the Christian Orient. Volume 1). Reichert Verlag, Wiesbaden 1997, ISBN 3-89500-056-6 .
- The Herakleides Psalms. Liber Psalmorum pars 2 fasc. 2 (= Corpus Fontium Manichaeorum. Series Coptica. Volume 1). Brepols, Turnhout 1998, ISBN 2-503-50806-5 .
- as editor with Martin Krause , Sofia Schaten and Stephen Lewis Emmel : Egypt and Nubia in Late Antique and Christian Times. Files of the 6th International Coptic Congress, Münster, 20. – 26. July 1996 (= Languages and Cultures of the Christian Orient. Volume 6). Reichert, Wiesbaden 1999, ISBN 3-89500-095-7 .
- Volume 1. Material culture, art, and religious life .
- Volume 2. Literature, language and world of thought .
- Studies on the Christianization of Nubia (= languages and cultures of the Christian Orient. Volume 11). Reichert Verlag, Wiesbaden 2002, ISBN 3-89500-311-5 (also habilitation thesis, Münster 2000).
- Coptic Egypt. Treasures in the shadow of the pharaohs (with photos by Jo Bischof). Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 2019, ISBN 978-3-8053-5211-6
|SURNAME||Richter, Siegfried G.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Judge, Siegfried|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German coptologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1960|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Castrop-Rauxel|