Thomas Schneider (Egyptologist)
Education and career
Thomas Schneider began his studies at the University of Zurich in 1984, majoring in history, Egyptology and Hebrew . In 1986 he moved to the University of Basel , where he completed his MA in Egyptology, Ancient History and the Old Testament in 1990. Further stations are the Collège de France in Paris and his graduation as Dr. phil. in Egyptology at the University of Basel in 1996. His habilitation took place in 1999 at the University of Basel.
Before Thomas Schneider received the professorship for Egyptology at the University of Wales in Swansea in 2005 , he was visiting professor at the universities in Vienna , Warsaw and Heidelberg , professor of the Swiss National Science Foundation at the Institute for Egyptology in Basel and was involved in the MISR ( Mission Siptah - Ramses X. in the Valley of the Kings ) of the University of Basel. Since 2007 he has been an Associate Professor of Egyptology and the Middle East at the University of British Columbia .
In 2001 Schneider published the works of Otto Rössler collected writings on Semitohamitistics with the promise "not to exclude any of the scholar's published works from being republished." In fact, however, a large part of the numerous National Socialist writings by Rössler before 1945, who worked closely with the Reich Security Main Office , is missing and was involved as an “expert” in promoting Hitler as a redeeming figure for today's Islam in order to support German Arab policy.
Thomas Schneider has been carrying out various research projects in Egypt since 1987 . His main areas of research are the political, cultural and intellectual history of Egypt, the connection between ancient Egypt and the Middle East, North Africa and the Aegean Sea, and Egyptian phonetics and the comparison of Egyptian-Afro-Asian languages, as well as the history of Egyptology.
- Asian personal names in Egyptian sources of the New Kingdom (= Orbis biblicus et orientalis. Volume 114). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Freiburg (Switzerland) 1992, ISBN 3-525-53748-4 .
- Foreigners in Egypt during the Middle Kingdom and the Hyksos Period. Part 1: The foreign kings (= Egypt and Old Testament. Volume 42). Harrassowitz, Wiesbaden 1998, ISBN 3-447-04049-1 .
- Lexicon of the Pharaohs. Albatros, Düsseldorf 2002, ISBN 3-491-96053-3 .
- Foreigners in Egypt during the Middle Kingdom and the Hyksos Period. Part 2: The foreign population (= Egypt and Old Testament. Volume 42). Harrassowitz, Wiesbaden 2003, ISBN 3-447-04906-5 .
- The 101 most important questions - Ancient Egypt ( Beck'sche Reihe Vol. 7026; CH Beck Wissen). Beck, Munich 2010, ISBN 978-3-406-59983-5 .
- Egyptologists in the Third Reich. Biographical notes based on the so-called "Steindorff list". In: Thomas Schneider, Peter Raulwing (Ed.): Egyptology from the First World War to the Third Reich. Ideology, scholarship and individual biographies. Brill, Leiden, 2013, ISBN 978-90-04-24329-3 , pp. 120-247.
- Literature by and about Thomas Schneider in the catalog of the German National Library
- Thomas Schneider on Academia.edu
- Staff member Thomas Schneider at the University of British Columbia
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Egyptologist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 6, 1964|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Goettingen|