Utiel-Requena is a wine-growing region in the mountains 50 km inland from Valencia in southeastern Spain . In addition, Utiel-Requena is one of 31 counties in the Valencia region.
Viticulture in Utiel-Requena
The wine-growing region has had DO status since September 1932 (but only officially confirmed since February 1957) and is named after two cities in the center of the region, Utiel and Requena .
The forested area is 40,000 ha, which are distributed over a total area of 1,800 km². The climate is strongly continental with very hot summers up to 40 ° C and cold winters (down to –15 ° C). The vineyards are located at altitudes of 600 to 900 msnm . The almost circular region with a diameter of about 45 km is quite flat.
In Utiel-Requena there are currently (2004) 108 bodegas , which are supplied by 7000 winemaking families. The range of grape varieties is dominated by the red Bobal variety , which alone occupies 32,000 hectares. In general, Utiel-Requena is a red wine country, because 94.3% of the area is planted with red grape varieties .
In addition to Bobal with 80% share, you can also find Tempranillo (10%), Garnacha , Cabernet Sauvignon , Merlot and Syrah . The white grape varieties include Macabeo , Planta Nova, Merseguera , Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc .
The regulatory authority Consejo Regulador de la Denominación de Origen Utiel-Requena in Utiel is responsible for checking compliance with the regulations of a DO .
Soils with a high lime content and, in addition to good permeability, little organic matter, which gives the wines a certain minerality, are typical here.
The climate here is continental with Mediterranean influences - 2,700 hours of sunshine a year, an average temperature of 13 ° C and only 400 mm of annual rainfall per m².
- John Radford: The New Spain. A complete guide to contemporary Spanish Wine. Mitchell Beazley, London 1998, ISBN 1-85732-254-1 .
- Jan Read: Spain's Wines 2005/06. 7th, revised, updated edition. Hallwag im Gräfe und Unzer Verlag, Munich 2005, ISBN 3-7742-6962-9 .
- Jeremy Watson: The new & classical Wines of Spain. Montagud Editores, Barcelona 2002, ISBN 84-7212-087-2 .
- Official website of the Consejo Regulador of Utiel-Requena
- The DO Utiel-Requena wine region and its wines
- ↑ a b Almost everything about wine , accessed January 20, 2016