Maas studied Romance studies , general and comparative linguistics and philosophy and received his doctorate in 1968 from the University of Freiburg im Breisgau . Maas then worked as a research assistant at the TU Berlin , where he completed his habilitation in 1971 (general linguistics and Romance linguistics). In 1975 he became professor of text science at the University of Roskilde in Denmark. Since 1976 he has been Professor of General and Romance Linguistics at the University of Osnabrück (since 1979 General and German Linguistics). Maas was visiting professor several times in France, Morocco and Egypt. Since 2007 he has been an honorary professor at the Institute for Linguistics at the Karl-Franzens University in Graz . Maas was a member of the Institute for Migration Research and Intercultural Studies in Osnabrück. In 2009 he retired. Since then he has been researching and teaching in Graz.
Utz Maas has published numerous books and essays on many topics in language teaching / language pedagogy, orthography, phonology, and language history. In the context of the denazification task , which was still current in 1968 , he also dealt with the history of linguistics and linguistic policy during the National Socialist era , which led him to specialist historical work (biographies of persecuted linguists in the Third Reich) and to more general research on the language in exile. Another focus of his research is comparative language typology , where he presented extensive studies on Arabic. His "life's work" is the documentation on the persecution and emigration of German-speaking linguists 1933-1945 , presented in 2010 , which has been continued as an online work since 2018.
- “When the spirit of community found a language”. Language in National Socialism. Attempt to analyze historical arguments. Westdeutscher Verlag, Opladen 1984, ISBN 3-531-11661-4 .
- Linguistic Politics and Political Linguistics. 7 studies (= Suhrkamp-Taschenbuch Wissenschaft. 799). Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main 1989, ISBN 3-518-28399-5 .
- Basics of German orthography (= German Linguistics series. 120). Niemeyer, Tübingen 1992, ISBN 3-484-31120-7 .
- Phonology. Introduction to the functional phonetics of German (= study books on linguistics. 2). Westdeutscher Verlag, Opladen et al. 1999, ISBN 3-531-12874-4 .
- with El-Sayed Selmy and Mostafa Ahmed: Perspectives on a typologically oriented language comparison German – Arabic / Arabic – German. Akhenaten, Cairo 2000, ISBN 977-5939-02-X .
- Persecution and emigration of German-speaking linguists 1933–1945. 2 volumes (Vol. 1: Documentation. Biobibliographical data A – Z. Vol. 2: Evaluations. Persecution - Emigration - Specialist history - Consequences. ). Stauffenburg, Tübingen 2010 ISBN 978-3-86057-016-6 (Also as CD-Rom) (Review in H-Soz-Kult ) As of 2018, the ZFL will put it online as a database that will be further improved:
- Leibniz Center for Literature and Cultural Research, online database: persecution and emigration of German-speaking linguists 1933–1945. Founded by Utz Maas.
- as editor: Orat und Literat (= Graz linguistic studies. Issue 73, ). Institute for Linguistics at the University of Graz, Graz 2010.
- Moroccan Arabic. The basic structures (= LINCOM language textbooks. 04). LINCOM Europe, Munich 2011, ISBN 978-3-89586-427-8 .
- What is German? The development of the linguistic conditions in Germany. With the collaboration of Solvejg Schulz. Fink, Munich et al. 2012, ISBN 978-3-7705-5272-6 (2nd, revised and expanded edition. (= UTB. 8560). Ibid 2014, ISBN 978-3-8252-8560-9 ).
- as editor with Stephan Procházka: Moroccan Arabic in typological perspective (= STUF. Language Typology and Universals. Vol. 65, No. 4, ). Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 2012.
- as editor with Abderrahmane Assini: Moroccan Arabic texts (= Languages of the World. Text Collections. 33). With the assistance of Sandra Ziagos. LINCOM Europe, Munich 2013, ISBN 978-3-86288-515-2 .
- Wilfried Kürschner (Ed.): Linguist Handbook. Biographical and bibliographical data of German-speaking linguists of the present. Volume 2: M - Z and register. Narr, Tübingen 1994, ISBN 3-8233-5000-5 , p. 575.
- Literature by and about Utz Maas in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page about Maas at IMIS (Institute for Migration Research and Intercultural Studies)
- Dirk Naguschewski:  . April 8, 2011
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German linguist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 24, 1942|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bonn|