The directory of the prints of the 17th century ( VD 17 for short ) published in the German-speaking area is a bibliographic database that represents a retrospective national bibliography for the years 1601 to 1700. Comparable bibliographies for the previous and the following century are available with VD 16 and VD 18 .
The database, funded by the German Research Foundation, started on July 1, 1996. Ten to twelve years were estimated for the duration of the project. All German-language titles and all works printed and published in the historical German-speaking area (regardless of their language) are recorded in the database . Musica practica and tickets are not included. The cataloging of the prints takes place after autopsy of the originals. In addition, the catalog contains digital facsimiles of certain key pages for the information of the user and for the determination of the various editions of a work . There are also numerous complete digital copies.
The database currently (December 2012) contains around 282,500 titles with 696,000 copies. These are linked to almost 750,000 key pages. Key pages are usually
- Front pages
- Pages with names of recipients
- Beginning of the main part
- Printer brands
The VD17 may only list half of the relevant prints from the 17th century.
Cooperation partners of VD 17 are:
- Berlin State Library
- Saxon State Library - Dresden State and University Library
- Lower Saxony State and University Library Göttingen
- University and Research Library Erfurt / Gotha
- University and State Library Saxony-Anhalt Halle
- Bavarian State Library, Munich
- Nuremberg City Library
- Duchess Anna Amalia Library Weimar
- Duke August Library Wolfenbüttel
- Zwickau Council School Library
- Coburg State Library
Numerous other large libraries with important old holdings have their titles in the VD-17 database, including the University Library Augsburg , the library of the Philosophical-Theological University Sankt Georgen in Frankfurt am Main, the Thuringian University and State Library Jena and the State Library in Regensburg .
The VD 17 is integrated in various scientific specialist portals and can be reached via the Karlsruhe Virtual Catalog (KVK), the database is on a server at the Joint Library Network (GBV).
- Claudia Fabian [Hrsg.]: VD 17. The directory of the prints of the 17th century that appeared in the German-speaking area. International symposium in Munich on October 27th and 28th, 2009 . Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz, 2010. ISBN 3447063858 .
- The VD 17
- Hermann Schüling: Bibliographical guide to the literature of the 17th century published in Germany (digitized version ), a directory of the (partial) bibliographies for the 17th century that were published before VD 17 was created
- Printing locations in VD 17
- ↑ VD17 23: 687887A. vd17.de, accessed on October 7, 2011 .
- ↑ vd17.de , accessed on October 21, 2013
- ↑ Jürgen Beyer: How complete are the German national bibliographies for the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries (VD 16 and VD 17)? In: Malcolm Walsby, Graeme Kemp (eds.): The book triumphant. Print in transition in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries (= Library of the written word. Vol. 15 = The handpress world. Vol. 9). Brill, Leiden / Boston 2011, ISBN 978-90-04-20723-3 , pp. 57-77.