life and work
Volkhart made his studies at the Royal Prussian Art Academy in Düsseldorf with Theodor Hildebrandt from 1831 to 1840 and then belonged to Wilhelm von Schadow's master class until 1846 . His first work Christ as a Good Shepherd , created in 1834 , was followed by several pictures from the romantic saga and the historical genre , in line with the romantic trend of the time , then several from the life of Maria Stuart .
In 1846 and 1847 he stayed in Rome , where he was encouraged to write an imaginative depiction of the death of Belshazzar , Mattathias in 1848 , the pagan altar to "Modeïn" (the exact location of the ancient location of the biblical site at Modi'in is not known) overturning, followed.
After his return to Düsseldorf he painted the visit of Charles IX. and Katharina von Medici with the wounded Coligny , in 1850 the breakfast of Duke Alba with the Countess von Rudolstadt and then a scene of the bloody deed in Weinsberg , namely the Countess von Helfenstein's plea for the life of her husband. It is also known that he created a picture with the then popular motif Wallenstein and Seni (see Wallenstein's death ). Later he devoted himself particularly to portrait painting .
Wilhelm Volkhart was a member of the artists 'association Malkasten and the Hamburg artists' association from 1832 and since the end of the 1850s the owner of a house at Logenstrasse 30, later renamed Victoriastrasse. Victoriastraße was a former connecting road between Schadowstraße and Goltsteinstraße . He died in Düsseldorf in 1876 at the age of 60.
- In: German seals with marginal drawings by German artists. - Düsseldorf: Buddeus, (volumes 1–2) 1843. Digitized edition of the University and State Library Düsseldorf
- Inventory list Malkasten: Volkhart, Wilhelm (1815–1876)
- Logenstrasse 30, Volkhart, Maler E. , in the address book of the Lord Mayor's Office in Düsseldorf, 1859
- Victoriastraße 30, Volkhart, Maler , in the address book of the Lord Mayor's Office Düsseldorf, 1867, p. 84
- Volkhart, Wilh., Maler, Victoriastraße 30 , in the address book of the Lord Mayor's Office in Düsseldorf, 1870, p. 155
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Volkhart, Georg Wilhelm (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 23, 1815|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Herdecke|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 14, 1876|
|Place of death||Dusseldorf|