Wolfgang Schindler (born January 6, 1929 in Marbach , † December 9, 1991 in Berlin ) was a German classical archaeologist .
Wolfgang Schindler passed his Abitur in 1948 and then studied Protestant theology and classical archeology at the Friedrich Schiller University in Jena until 1951, and archeology at the Humboldt University in Berlin from 1952 to 1954 . In 1954 he passed the state examination and was first a research assistant, later a senior assistant at the Institute (later science department) for Classical Archeology at Humboldt University. In April 1964 he received his doctorate under Ludger Alscher and Gerhard Strauss with a thesis on the subject of the composition laws of Greek vase painters from the first half of the fifth century . The habilitation followed in October 1969 with an extension of his dissertation: Composition groups in figure painting of the Attic black-figure style. Attempt to assign artistic and social phenomena in Athens in the 6th century BC Reviewers were again Ludger Alscher and Peter H. Feist . Schindler was appointed lecturer in archeology in 1973.
Since 1981 he has headed the Classical Archeology department at the Humboldt University in Berlin. In 1983 Schindler succeeded Alscher as a full professor of classical archeology, which he remained until his early and surprising death in 1991. Schindler's successor was initially his pupil Detlef Rößler .
Schindler is buried in the Evangelical Cemetery of the Rahnsdorf-Wilhelmshagen community (Saarower Weg 51), Department C.
- with Peter Musiolek : Classical Athens , Koehler and Amelang, Leipzig 1980.
- Roman emperor. Image of rulers and empires , Koehler and Amelang, Leipzig 1985 (also Böhlau, Vienna, Cologne, Graz 1986 ISBN 3-205-00563-5 ).
- Myth and Reality in Antiquity , Edition Leipzig, Leipzig 1987 ISBN 3-361-00141-2 (also Gebrüder Mann, Berlin 1988 ISBN 3-7861-1529-X ).
- Detlef Rößler , Veit Stürmer (Ed.): Mode in rebus. Commemorative letter for Wolfgang Schindler. Gebrüder Mann, Berlin 1995, ISBN 3-7861-1331-9 .
- Lothar Mertens : Lexicon of the GDR historians. Biographies and bibliographies on the historians from the German Democratic Republic. Saur, Munich 2006, ISBN 3-598-11673-X , p. 532.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 6, 1929|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Marbach|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 9, 1991|
|Place of death||Berlin|