Detlef Rößler (born January 21, 1942 in Plauen ; † December 16, 2013 in Göttingen ) was a German classical archaeologist .
Rößler studied Classical Archeology and Ancient History at the Humboldt University in Berlin from 1964 and had been a qualified Classical Archaeologist since 1968 . From 1968 to 1974 he was an assistant at the Winckelmann Institute for Classical Archeology at Humboldt University . From 1975 Rößler was a research assistant, from 1982 department and research group leader at the Central Institute for Ancient History and Archeology of the Academy of Sciences of the GDR until 1987. In 1976 he received his doctorate with a dissertation on the subject of investigations into Roman portrait art in the third quarter of the third century . u. Z .: artistic development and attempt at a comparative comparison with the neo-Platonic philosophy of Plotinus . From 1987 to 1994 he worked again as a research assistant at the Humboldt University. In 1989 he received the Facultas Docendi at the Humboldt University, and in 1994 he completed his habilitation at the Free University of Berlin . Since June 1994 he has been C3 Professor for Classical Archeology at the Humboldt University in Berlin. He retired in 2007, after which he taught there as a visiting professor until March 2008.
Rößler's main research areas were the Roman portrait, the reception of antiquity in the 18th and 19th centuries, the history of classical archeology according to Johann Joachim Winckelmann, and the relationship between Berlin and antiquity. In 1989 and 1991 Rößler also published two books on antiquity aimed at children ( City of Athene and Mycenae ).
In 2010 Rößler received the Winckelmann Medal from the city of Stendal .
- with Peter Betthausen , Thomas Häntzsche and Ulrike Krenzlin : European art history in dates , Verlag der Kunst, Dresden 1984
- Editor: Antike und Barock , Winckelmann-Gesellschaft, Stendal 1989 (lectures and essays, Winckelmann-Gesellschaft, Vol. 1) ISBN 3-910060-04-8
- with Peter Musiolek : City of Athene , children's book publisher, Berlin 1989, ISBN 3-358-01350-2
- Mycenae. Castle of Agamemnon , Children's Book Publishing, Berlin 1991 (Ancient Cultures on the Mediterranean) ISBN 3-358-02015-0
- Critical style studies on Asian Minor and Greek portraits of the 3rd century AD. On the question of the “Gaulish Renaissance” . Habilitation thesis Free University of Berlin 1993
- Editor with Veit Stürmer : Modus in rebus. Commemorative publication for Wolfgang Schindler , Gebrüder Mann, Berlin 1995, ISBN 3-7861-1331-9
- Editor with Kathrin Schade, Alfred Schäfer : Centers and spheres of activity for the reception of antiquity. On the importance of space and communication for the modern transformation of Greco-Roman antiquity , Scriptorium, Münster 2007, ISBN 3-932610-41-5
- Editor with Stephanie-Gerrit Bruer : "... to open your eyes a little". The look at ancient art from the Renaissance to today. Festschrift for Max Kunze , Rutzen, Ruhpolding and Mainz 2011, ISBN 3-447-06433-1
- Short vita on the website of the Winckelmann Institute at Humboldt University
- Selected publications on the website of the Winckelmann Institute at Humboldt University
- Max Kunze : We mourn Prof. Dr. Detlef Roessler. In: Messages from the Winckelmann Society . Volume 76, 2013/14, pp. 39-41.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 21, 1942|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Plauen|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 16, 2013|
|Place of death||Goettingen|