Stephan G. Schmid (archaeologist)
Stephan G. Schmid (* 1967 in Basel ) is a Swiss classical archaeologist .
After graduating from high school in 1986, Stephan G. Schmid studied from 1986 to 1996, since 1992 as a research assistant at the Archaeological Seminar, at the University of Basel in the subjects of Classical Archeology, Prehistory and Early History, and Ancient History . In 1987/88 he spent one semester at the University of Athens . In 1996 he received his doctorate with a thesis on Nabataean fine ceramics and then became scientific secretary (deputy director) of the Swiss Archaeological School in Greece . First he planned his habilitation under the working title Eretria in Hellenism and the Imperial Era. Change and adaptation. at the University of Göttingen , but eventually he completed his habilitation at the Sorbonne on the subject of Boire pour Apollon. Études sur la céramique hellénistique d'un puits du sanctuaire d'Apollon Daphnéphoros à Érétrie et petite anthologie du symposion eubéen. Schmid then became an assistant professor at the Université Paul Valéry in Montpellier , where he has been a full professor since 2003. Since 2008 he has been professor of classical archeology at the Humboldt University in Berlin, succeeding Henning Wredes .
Excavations led Schmid from 1988 to 1994 as a participant in the Swiss-Liechtenstein excavations to Petra . Since 1999 he has been director of the “International Wadi Farasa Project” in Petra. He directed and coordinated the excavations of a grave and residential complex there.
- Boire pour Apollon. Céramiques hellénistiques et banquets dans le sanctuaire d'Apollon Daphnéphoros. Galon 2006 (Eretria 16).
- The fine ceramics of the Nabataeans. Typology, chronology and cultural-historical background. Petra - Ez Zantur II 1. Results of the Swiss-Liechtenstein excavations. Mainz 2001, ISBN 3-8053-2712-9 (Terra archaeologica IV. Monographs of the Swiss-Liechtenstein Foundation for Archaeological Research Abroad).
- Nuremberg papers on archeology . Volume 17, 2000/2001, p. 120.
- Literature by and about Stephan G. Schmid in the catalog of the German National Library
- Stephan G. Schmid on the website of the Winckelmann Institute
|SURNAME||Schmid, Stephan G.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss classical archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1967|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Basel|