Árpád Szabó (born October 16, 1913 in Budapest ; † September 13, 2001 there ) was a Hungarian classical philologist and historian of science.
Szabó received his doctorate at the University of Budapest, then studied in Frankfurt with Walter F. Otto , Karl Reinhardt and Franz Altheim , took part in the work of the Frobenius Institute and completed his habilitation in 1939 at the Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main . 1940 to 1948 he was professor of classical philology at the University of Debrecen . From 1948 to 1956 he was Professor of Ancient History and Philosophy in Budapest. From 1957 to 1983 Szabo was at the Mathematical Institute of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences in Budapest, where he mainly dealt with the history of science .
Like Sabetai Unguru later, he was a representative of an interpretation of ancient mathematical texts based on the knowledge of their time and embedded the history of mathematics in the cultural context. For example, he saw the origin of the deductive method characteristic of the Greeks in the Eleatic school of philosophy, in contrast to the arithmetic methods from Babylonia. In his book The Geocentric Worldview he examined the history of Greek astronomy as an application of geometry (with the help of the gnomon ).
He also wrote a television series about ancient Greek philosophers and writers.
Szabo was a member of the Academies of Science in Athens, Budapest, Lucca and Turku . He was a fellow of the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin and the Center for Advanced Studies in Stanford .
- Horatius és a hellenisztikus irodalomtudomány. Dissertation . In: Egyetemes Philologiai Közlöny . 59, 1935, pp. 225-256.
- with Franz Altheim : A forerunner of the great migrations. In: World as a story. 2, 1936, pp. 314-343.
- Ancient Mediterranean royalty and its significance for the beginnings of the Greek state. In: World as a story. 6, 1940, pp. 293-312. (= Excerpt from preclassical heritage. Habilitation thesis . Frankfurt 1939 ( UB Frankfurt am Main. ))
- Lustrum and circus. In: ARW. 36, 1938, pp. 135-160.
- Amphiaraoh's chariot. In: Paideuma. 1, 1940, pp. 318-332.
- Beginnings of Greek Mathematics . Oldenbourg, Budapest / Munich 1969, DNB 458290270 .
- The golden fleece . Corvina-Verlag, Budapest 1971, DNB 730300013 .
- with Erkka Maula: Enklima. Investigations into the early history of Greek astronomy, geography and the tendon table . Athens 1982, OCLC 13002972 .
- with Zoltán Kádár : Antik természettudomány. Gondotat, Budapest 1984, ISBN 963-281-390-1 .
- The geocentric view of the world - astronomy, geography and mathematics of the Greeks . dtv, 1992.
- The development of Greek mathematics . Mannheim 1993.
- Beginnings of the Euclidean Axiom System , Arch. Hist. Exact Sciences, Vol. 1, 1960, pp. 37-106
- János György Szilágyi : Szabó Árpádról. Búcsú és emlékezet. In: Antik Tanulmányok. 47, 2003, pp. 129-133.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Hungarian classical philologist and science historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 16, 1913|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Budapest|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 13, 2001|
|Place of death||Budapest|