Almuth Katharina Lütkenhaus (née Wirsing; born March 8, 1930 in Hamm , † November 1996 in Hamilton (Ontario) ) was a visual artist. Many of her bronze sculptures are in public spaces in Germany and Canada.
From 1948 to 1952 she studied at the Werkkunstschulen in Dortmund and Münster . In 1952 she married the artist Erich Lütkenhaus (1924-2010). In 1956 she was awarded the Jung-Westfalen art prize for plastic in Münster . In 1961 the Gustav Lübcke Museum in Hamm showed her monotypes, drawings and sculptures. She lived and worked in Hamm and, after separating from her husband, in Soest, before moving to Canada with her second husband in 1966 and settling in Ontario.
As a result, she created more than 25 life-size sculptures for public buildings as well as numerous smaller sculptures and made busts of artist friends such as Barker Fairley, Dorothy Livesay , Robertson Davies and Margaret Laurence . To stir controversy and longer held its 1986 laid down in Toronto Crucifixion Crucified Woman , the sculpture of a 2.5-meter-high nude woman, whose outstretched arms form with the body of a cross. Her sculptures have received several awards, as has her film Living Bronze , which documents her work on one of her sculptures.
She also taught art at St. Mildred College in Oakville and was a co-founder of the Oakville Group . In 1968 she founded the sculpture department at Mohawk College, Hamilton . As artist in residence , she worked at the Ottawa School of Art from 1981 to 1985.
For a few years before her death, she was no longer able to continue the strenuous work as a sculptor due to illness and therefore turned to creative writing. She died in November 1996.
- Sculpture The Seated Woman , 1976–1978, Hamm- Mitte, Rothebach-Park
- Sculpture Pan , location: Soest , Office for Agricultural Regulation , Stiftstrasse
- Fountain figure at the Hildegardis School , 1957, Bochum
- Figure group goat keeper , 1964, Maischützenschule Bochum-Werne
- Sculpture Family Group , 1972, Toronto , Front Street
- Crucified Woman sculpture , 1986, Emmanuel College, University of Toronto Theology Department
- Winged Man sculpture , 1977, Toronto, 1900 Bayview Avenue
- Sculpture Security , 1978, Hamm, Sedanstrasse, corner of Friedrichstrasse and Bismarckstrasse
- Luetkenhaus, archival material, 154 items, at Library and Archives Canada , including correspondence. Last updated 2012
- Sculptures by female artists in Toronto
- Description of the sculpture "Pan" in Soest
- Business Association of Visual Artists North Rhine-Westphalia: Visual Artists in the State of North Rhine-Westphalia: South and North Westphalia . Bongers, January 1, 1966 ( limited preview in Google Book search).
- Gustav Luebcke Museum: Exhibitions from 1945–1992 . Retrieved August 19, 2015
- Almuth Lütkenhaus. In: skulpturenverzeichnis-soest.de. www.skulpturenverzeichnis-soest.de, accessed on August 19, 2015 .
- The many faces of Jesus - The UC Observer. In: ucobserver.org. Retrieved August 20, 2015 .
- fountain sculpture , artibeau - Art in Bochum
- goat keepers , artibeau - Art in Bochum
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Wirsing, Almuth (maiden name); Lütkenhaus-Lackey, Almuth (married name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||visual artist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 8, 1930|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hamm|
|DATE OF DEATH||November 1996|
|Place of death||Hamilton (Ontario)|