After completing school, Ann Dumas first studied English and French at the University of Leicester and completed both courses with a bachelor's degree . This was followed by a master's degree in French , which she completed at King's College London . She also studied art history at the Courtauld Institute of Art . Her master's thesis Degas as Collector , completed there in 1981, deals with the private art collection of the French painter Edgar Degas .
Her museum work began in the early 1980s as a fellow at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York City . From 1985 to 1987 she was Assistant Curator (Assistant Curator) for European Painting at the Brooklyn Museum in New York . From 1990 to 1993 she worked as a fellow at the Art Institute of Chicago . She has lived in London since 1994.
Based on the topic of her master's thesis, Dumas designed the highly acclaimed exhibition The Private Collection of Edgar Degas as a guest curator at the National Gallery in London in 1995/1996 , which was then shown at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. In the following years she worked for various museums in Europe and the United States. In 2000, for example, she put together the exhibition 1900: Art at the Crossroads for the London Royal Academy of Arts and the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum , which presented the artistic movements of the early 20th century. In 2004 she curated the Henri Matisse exhibition Matisse, his art and his textiles at the Musée Matisse in Le Cateau-Cambrésis , which was then shown at the London Royal Academy of Arts and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. She has worked several times as a guest curator for the Columbus Museum of Art . Here she showed in 2005 with Renoir's women an overview of the portraits of women by Pierre-Auguste Renoir . In 2006/2007 she dedicated the exhibition Cézanne to Picasso to the art dealer Ambroise Vollard : Ambroise Vollard, Patron of the Avant-Garde , which after the opening show in the Metropolitan Museum of Art made stops at the Art Institute of Chicago and the Musée d'Orsay in Paris . As curator for the Royal Academy of Arts in London, she put together the exhibition The real Van Gogh: the artist and his letters in 2010 , in which works by Vincent van Gogh were juxtaposed with the corresponding descriptions in his letters. The 2015 Royal Academy show Painting the Modern Garden: Monet to Matisse , previously exhibited at the Cleveland Museum of Art .
- Ann Dumas, Guy Cogeval: Vuillard . Exhibition catalog Centro cultural de la fundación Caja de pensiones Barcelona. Flammarion, Paris 1990, ISBN 2-08-011730-0 .
- Ann Dumas, Colta Ives, Susan Alyson Stein: The private collection of Edgar Degas . Exhibition catalog Metropolitan Museum of Art. Abrams, New York 1997, ISBN 0-87099-797-1 .
- Ann Dumas, Michael E. Shapiro: Impressionism: paintings collected by European museums . Exhibition catalog High Museum of Art Atlanta, Seattle Art Museum, Denver Art Museum. Abrams, New York 1999, ISBN 0-8109-6383-3 .
- Ann Dumas, Robert Rosenblum, Maryanne Stevens: 1900, art at the crossroads . Exhibition catalog Royal Academy of Arts London and Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum New York. Abrams, New York 2000, ISBN 0-8109-4303-4 .
- Ann Dumas, David A. Brenneman: Degas and America: the early collectors . Exhibition catalog High Museum of Art Atlanta and Minneapolis Institute of Arts. Rizzoli, New York 2001, ISBN 0-8478-2340-7 .
- Ann Dumas, Maryanne Stevens: Alfred Sisley: poeta dell'Impressionismo . Exhibition catalog Palazzo dei Diamanti Ferrara, Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid and Musée des Beaux-Arts Lyon. Ferrara arte, Ferrara 2002.
- Ann Dumas: Matisse, his art and his textiles . Exhibition catalog Royal Academy of Arts London and Metropolitan Museum of Art New York. Royal Academy of Arts, London 2004, ISBN 1-903973-46-5 .
- Ann Dumas, John Collins: Renoir's women . Exhibition catalog Columbus Museum of Art. Merrell, London 2005, ISBN 1-85894-315-9 .
- Ann Dumas: Edgar Degas: the last landscapes . Exhibition catalog Carlsberg Glyptotek Copenhagen and Columbus Museum of Art. Merrel, London 2006, ISBN 1-85894-343-4 .
- Ann Dumas: Inspiring impressionism: the impressionists and the art of the past . Exhibition catalog High Museum of Art Atlanta, Denver Art Museum, and Seattle Art Museum. Denver Art Museum, Denver 2007, ISBN 978-0-300-13132-1 .
- Ann Dumas: Behind the mirror: Aimé Maeght and his artists: Bonnard, Matisse, Miró, Calder, Giacometti, Braque . Exhibition catalog Royal Academy of Arts. Royal Academy of Arts, London 2008, ISBN 978-1-905711-38-3 .
- Ann Dumas, Norman Rosenthal: From Russia: French and Russian master paintings 1870-1925 from Moscow and St Petersburg . Exhibition catalog Museum Kunst Palast Düsseldorf and Royal Academy of Arts London. Royal Academy of Arts, London 2008, ISBN 978-1-905711-15-4 .
- Ann Dumas, Leo Jansen, Hans Luijten, Nienke Bakker: The real Van Gogh: the artist and his letters . Exhibition catalog Royal Academy of Arts. Royal Academy of Arts, London 2010, ISBN 978-1-905711-60-4 .
- Ann Dumas, Marina Ferretti-Bocquillon: Van Gogh in Paris . Eykyn Maclean, London 2013, ISBN 978-0-992638-10-8 .
- Ann Dumas, William H. Robinson: Painting the modern garden: Monet to Matisse . Exhibition catalog Cleveland Museum of Art and Royal Academy of Arts London. Royal Academy of Arts, London 2015, ISBN 978-1-910350-02-7 .
- Information on Ann Dumas in the database of the Bibliothèque nationale de France .
- Biographical information about Ann Dumas on forum-network.org (English)
- Date of birth according to the entry in the Library of Congress, see http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n87862379.html
- Nationality according to the entry in the Bibliothèque nationale de France, see http://data.bnf.fr/13477885/ann_dumas/
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American art historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 28, 1955|