Archives nationales (France)
|Archives nationales (France)
Archives nationales in Pierrefitte-sur-Seine
|Archive type||State Archives|
The Ministry of Defense ( Service historique de la défense ), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs ( ministère des Affaires étrangères ) and the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Finance ( Center des archives économiques et financières ) have their own archives . The departments also have their own archives.
The French National Archives are subordinate to the Direction des Archives de France in the Ministry of Culture ( Ministère de la Culture ). It consists of five centers; Since January 1, 2007, four of these centers have been three national competence centers.
The Center historique des Archives nationales (CHAN) is located in a building complex consisting of the Hôtel de Soubise and the Hôtel de Rohan in the Marais district in Paris. The documents from before 1958, the archives of the heads of state and private documents from all eras are housed here. Some of these documents date from the Merovingian era . Since January 1st 2007, the CHAN has been running a joint service with the Center des archives contemporaines and the archive under construction in Pierrefitte.
The Center des archives contemporaines (German "contemporary archive") has been located in Fontainebleau since 1969 ; mainly the documents from the period after 1958 are housed here.
The Center des archives d'outre-mer (German "Archive of Overseas Territories") has been located in Aix-en-Provence since 1969 . This is where the documents relating to the former French overseas holdings are located, both in relation to the responsible ministries and the colonial administration itself. Since January 1, 2007, this archive has had the status of a national competence center.
The Archives nationales du monde du travail (German "Archive for the world of work") has been in Roubaix since 1993 . It includes the documents on the companies, unions, associations and architects. This archive has also had the status of a national competence center since January 1, 2007.
The Center national du microfilm et de la numérisation (German “Microfiche and Digital Archive ”) has been located in the Château d'Espeyran in Saint-Gilles-du-Gard in the Gard department since 1973 . The original microforms of the documents preserved in the other national and regional archives can be found here . The documents are also digitized here .
The new building in Pierrefitte-sur-Seine
In 2004 it was decided to build a new central archive in Pierrefitte-sur-Seine . It takes 60 kilometers of shelves from the Hôtel de Soubise or Hôtel de Rohan and 120 kilometers of shelves from Fontainebleau, which is intended to remedy the tightness here. The building, which went into operation in January 2013, was designed by the Italian architect Massimiliano Fuksas . It is located in the immediate line of the northern terminus of Métro line 13, Saint-Denis - Université and the University of Paris VIII .
- Lucie Favier, René Rémond: La mémoire de l'État: histoire des Archives nationales. Fayard, Paris 2004, ISBN 2-213-61758-9 .
- Jean Favier : Les Archives: details et classification des fonds en France. Presses universitaires de France, coll. «Que sais-je? », No. 805, Paris.
- Claire Béchu (Red.): Les Archives nationales, des lieux pour l'histoire de France: bicentenaire d'une installation (1808-2008). Somogy / Archives nationales, Paris 2008, ISBN 978-2-7572-0187-9 .
- Philippe Béchu, Christian Taillard: Les Hôtels de Soubise et de Rohan. Somogy, Paris 2004, ISBN 2-85056-796-5 .
- Archives Nationales website
- French archive inventories in a library
- Page of the city of Pierrefitte with photos and models from the archive (French)
- Florence Evin, Jean-Jacques Larrochelle: Les Archives font peau neuve à Pierrefitte. (French, with photos) lemonde.fr of January 22, 2013, accessed on January 25, 2013.
- Overview of the museum's collections
- DIRECTORY - Archives Portal Europe. In: archivesportaleurope.net. Retrieved March 22, 2020 (see entry on France).