Arnold Adolf Berthold
Arnold Adolf Berthold (also: Arnold Adolph Berthold; born February 26, 1803 in Soest ; † January 3, 1861 in Göttingen ) was a German physiologist and zoologist and professor at the University of Göttingen .
He studied in Göttingen and received his doctorate in 1823. med. and went to Berlin the following year and to Paris in 1825. In 1825 he completed his habilitation in Göttingen and worked as a general practitioner. In 1829 he was elected a member of the Leopoldina Scholars' Academy . In 1835 he became associate professor and in 1836 full professor of physiological anatomy and natural history at the University of Göttingen. His experiments carried out in 1849, which showed that castration of male chicks prevented their development into roosters, proved (as was confirmed by other researchers from 1910 on) the presence of an "internal secretion " from glands (in this case the male gonads) and shut it down a pioneer in endocrinology .
He made contributions to physiology, zoology and anatomy. In 1837 he became the Royal Society of Science in Göttingen .
In his honor, the German Society for Endocrinology has been awarding the Berthold Medal every year since 1980, which is combined with a scientific lecture, the Berthold Lecture, at the Society's annual meeting.
- Pierre André Latreille : Natural families of the animal kingdom / From the French. With comments and additions by AA Berthold. Weimar 1827. doi: 10.5962 / bhl.title.11652
- The upright appearance of the objects of the face in spite of their inverted image on the retina of the eye . Goettingen 1830.
- Text-book of the physiology of humans and animals . Second edition. Goettingen 1837.
- Robert Bunsen , Arnold Adolph Berthold: Iron oxide hydrate, the antidote of white arsenic or arsenic acid . 2nd edition Göttingen 1837.
- About various new or rare species of amphibians . Göttingen: In the Dieterichschen Buchhandlung, 1842. doi: 10.5962 / bhl.title.5510
- Textbook of Zoology . Goettingen 1845.
- About various new or rare reptiles from New Granada . Dieterichsche Buchhandlung, Göttingen 1846 doi: 10.5962 / bhl.title.5485
- Fritz Bolle : In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 2, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1955, ISBN 3-428-00183-4 , p. 166 ( ).
- August Hirsch : Berthold, Arnold Adolf . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 2, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1875, p. 512.
- C. Barker Jørgensen: John Hunter, AA Berthold, and the origins of endocrinology . [Odense:] Odense University Press, 1971.
- Otto Westphal , Theodor Wieland , Heinrich Huebschmann: life regulator. Of hormones, vitamins, ferments and other active ingredients. Societäts-Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 1941 (= Frankfurter Bücher. Research and Life. Volume 1), especially pp. 9–35 ( History of hormone research ), here: pp. 12–14 and 29.
- Holger Krahnke: The members of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen 1751-2001 (= Treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen, Philological-Historical Class. Volume 3, Vol. 246 = Treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen, Mathematical-Physical Class. Episode 3, vol. 50). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2001, ISBN 3-525-82516-1 , p. 38.
|SURNAME||Berthold, Arnold Adolf|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Berthold, Arnold Adolph|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German physiologist, zoologist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 26, 1803|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Soest|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 3, 1861|
|Place of death||Goettingen|