life and career
Hill was born in Blackley, a borough of Manchester, into a Catholic mining family . In his hometown he attended Xaverian College and later the Manchester Polytechnic School of Drama, where he was a classmate of Richard Griffiths . In 1970 he completed his theater studies with a diploma .
Bernard Hill began his acting career in an amateur theater in Salford near Manchester. He played his first television role in 1973 in Mike Leigh's television film Hard Labor . In 1974 he made his theatrical debut in London's West End in Willy Russell's Beatles musical John, Paul, George, Ringo ... & Bert , in which he played John Lennon .
Since then, Bernard Hill has been a busy actor in film, television and theater in the UK and USA, working with renowned directors such as Richard Attenborough , James Cameron , Peter Greenaway and Peter Jackson . He played one of his first major roles in 1976 in the multi-award-winning English mini-series Ich, Claudius, Kaiser und Gott . After numerous roles in British television productions, including the BBC 's Shakespeare films , he experienced his real breakthrough in 1982 with the five-part series Boys from the Blackstuff . For his portrayal of the unemployed Liverpool worker Yosser Hughes, Hill received the 1983 Press Guild Award for Achievement of the Decade and a BAFTA nomination for best television actor.
Since the mid-1980s, Hill has concentrated almost entirely on film work and is rarely seen in television productions. His best-known films include Peter Greenaway's Conspiracy for Women , Shirley Valentine , The Bounty, and The Ghost and Darkness . He finally gained international fame through his roles as Captain Smith in the Titanic film adaptation by James Cameron and as King Théoden in the second and third part of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings film: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Lord of the Rings : The return of the king . In 2004 he and his fellow actors received the Screen Actors Guild Award for best ensemble performance for this film . Hill was the only actor to star in two of the three films ( Ben Hur , Titanic and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ), each of which won eleven Oscars .
Bernard Hill lives in Suffolk . He is married and has a son.
- 1976: Vigilante Justice ( Trial by Combat )
- 1976: Ich, Claudius, Kaiser und Gott ( I, Claudius ; TV miniseries)
- 1980: Fox (TV series, 13 episodes)
- 1982: Boys from the Blackstuff (TV miniseries)
- 1982: Gandhi
- 1983: Henry VI, Part 1–3 (three-part television series)
- 1984: The Bounty (The Bounty)
- 1985: The Tourist Trap (Restless Natives)
- 1986: Boy Soldier - Soldier Without a Fatherland ( Milwr Bychan )
- 1988: Conspiracy of Women ( Drowning by Numbers )
- 1989: Shirley Valentine - Goodbye, my dear husband ( Shirley Valentine )
- 1990: Land of the Black Sun ( Mountains of the Moon )
- 1993: Lipstick on Your Collar ( Lipstick on Your Collar , TV miniseries)
- 1996: The Ghost and the Darkness ( The Ghost and the Darkness )
- 1997: Titanic
- 1999: True Crime ( True Crime )
- 1999: A Midsummer Night's Dream ( A Midsummer Night's Dream )
- 2000: Liverpool Gangster ( Going Off Big Time )
- 2002: The Scorpion King
- 2002: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers ( Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers )
- 2003: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ( Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King )
- 2003: Gothika
- 2004: Wimbledon - game, set and ... love (Wimbledon)
- 2005: The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse
- 2006: So close to the earth ( El corazón de la tierra )
- 2007: County Clare - This is where the music plays ( The Boys from County Clare )
- 2008: Operation Walküre - The Stauffenberg Assassination (Valkyrie)
- 2009: Franklyn - The Truth Wears Many Masks (Franklyn)
- 2012: ParaNorman (voice)
- 2015: Wolves ( Wolf Hall , miniseries, 6 episodes)
- 2015: Unforgotten (TV series, 6 episodes)
- 2016: Golden Years
- Manchester Films - Bernard Hill - a biography . BBC. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British film, television and stage actor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 17, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Manchester , England , UK|