Live and act
Kessens studied German and geography in Münster and was a teacher from 1974 to 2001 at the grammar school in Damme , where he lives. Since 1989 he has published several novels on historical and modern subjects. Until July 2008, Kessens was parliamentary group leader of the SPD in the Vechta district council ; He held his mandate as a member of the district council until 2016.
One of the historical topics that Kessens deals with in his novels is the reappraisal of the relationships between landlords, farmers and landless hirers in the first half of the 19th century. One of Kessens' modern themes in his novels is psychologically oriented characterology. Typical character structures of extraordinary people are examined here in order to identify affinities in emotional, thought and behavioral patterns.
Kessens is also the author of plays that were premiered at his place of residence in Damme: Die Räuber vom Mordkuhlenberg (2004/2005), The White Woman from Dersaburg (2006/2007) about Widukind and the Saxons around Dersaburg, miracle healers against their will (2008/2009), Glückauf - an unforgettable love. A mining drama (2010/2011), the emigrant drama America and the Great Luck (2012), the play The Sun Rises in the West (2013) - a play about the fate of a resettled family from Kazakhstan - the comedy Is winter corruptible? (2015) - a play about corruption and bribery - as well as Romeo and Juliet in the Dammer Mountains , an adaptation of Shakespeare's tragedy Romeo and Juliet (2017) performed in front of the St. Viktor parish church in Dammer . The number of visitors per piece was between 2,600 and 3,000.
The most important novels are Rabenfluch , Freiheit und Frieder Speck , and on the feet a gold clock , Danced Love Flamenco (an adaptation of Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther ) and The Fear of the Bullfighter at the Tip of the Horn .
- Tatort Maisfeld , Vechta: Plaggenborg, 1992, ISBN 3-929358-01-8 (first edition 1989).
- Rabenfluch , Damme: Taurino, approx. 2005, ISBN 3-9805800-8-3 (first edition Vechta: Plaggenborg, 1992).
- The bullfighter's fear of the tip of the horn , Vechta: Plaggenborg, approx. 1994, ISBN 3-929358-03-4 .
- Liberty and fried bacon , Damme: Taurino, 1997, ISBN 3-9805800-0-8 .
- Danced love Flamenco , Damme: Taurino, 1999, ISBN 3-9805800-2-4 .
- and a gold watch on the feet , Damme: Taurino, 2000, ISBN 3-9805800-3-2 .
- The Spanish skin , Damme: Taurino, approx. 2002, ISBN 3-9805800-6-7 .
- A piece of land , Damme: Taurino, approx. 2006, ISBN 3-9810060-0-3 .
- Literature by and about Bernd Kessens in the catalog of the German National Library
- Official website (apparently also the website of the Taurino publishing house)
- Website about Danced Love Flamenco on literaturatlas.de
- Lecture on the fear of the bullfighter at the tip of the horn (1994; private homepage of Andreas Krumbein)
- The legend of the white lady from Dersaburg (text of the original; PDF file; 49 kB)
- Happy ending only in the theater ( Memento from September 24, 2015 in the Internet Archive ). In: Kulturland Oldenburg . Edition 1.2013. Pp. 42-45
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German writer and playwright|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 9, 1948|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bunnen , municipality of Löningen|