Bernhard Christoph Breitkopf
Bernhard Christoph Breitkopf (born March 2, 1695 in Clausthal , today Clausthal-Zellerfeld , † March 26, 1777 in Leipzig ) was a German printer and publisher. In 1719 he founded a publishing house in Leipzig , later Breitkopf & Härtel , which is now the world's oldest music publisher .
In 1709 he started his apprenticeship as a printer in Goslar . A year later he founded the Leipzig music publisher Breitkopf. He moved to Leipzig in 1714 and worked for a year in a printing company that he took over from the late Johann Caspar Müller. Then he worked in Jena and finally in Halle . In 1718 he returned to Leipzig, married Sophia Maria Müller and took over a printing company that had existed since 1664, which he saved from economic ruin. In 1719 he founded the printing company, type foundry and the Breitkopf music publisher. The actual publishing activity began in 1723 with the printing of a Hebrew hand Bible. In 1738 Breitkopf acquired the “Golden Bear” building for the publishing house. In 1739, after his wife's death, Breitkopf married a certain Theodore Sophia Kayser. In 1740 he was senior elder of the printing guild in Leipzig. In 1745 he handed over the printing business to his son Johann Gottlob Immanuel Breitkopf , who also worked as a printer and publisher. He kept the publishing business until his death, but took his son into it in 1762. From 1725 to 1761 656 publishing works appeared in his printing house. When he died at the age of 83, Bernhard Christoph Breitkopf was the most important book printer in Germany.
- O. Hase: Breitkopf and Härtel . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 3, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1876, pp. 296-303.
- Bernhard Christoph Härtel. History of Saxony, accessed on January 20, 2020 .
- Works by and about Bernhard Christoph Breitkopf in the German Digital Library
- Literature by and about Bernhard Christoph Breitkopf in the catalog of the German National Library
- Breitkopfbecken, Reinickendorf. Retrieved April 4, 2020 .
- kaupertmedia: Breitkopfstrasse 38-140 in Berlin - KAUPERTS. Retrieved April 4, 2020 .
|SURNAME||Breitkopf, Bernhard Christoph|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German printer and publisher in Leipzig|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 2, 1695|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Clausthal, today Clausthal-Zellerfeld|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 26, 1777|
|Place of death||Leipzig|