The Bull Street in Hanover was the time of the Electorate of Hanover in 1750 for the first time so named street. The street that was later closed ran south or southeast of today's market hall from Köbelinger Strasse to Marktstrasse.
The street owes its name to a “Dr. Cops ”who lived there. At the corner of Bullenstrasse and Köbelinger Strasse there was a sugar boiling plant , which was run by several citizens of the old town who were united in 1753 with the right to brew . The aim of the association was to counteract the decline of the brewing industry by replacing brewing by individuals in their respective town houses with community brewing in specially prepared breweries . For this purpose, in the following year, 1754, the sugar boiling plant on Bullenstrasse was converted into a partnership brewery, which was managed by the “Brau-Sozietäts-Administration”.
In 1802, the “Societätsbrauhaus” was converted into the first city daughter school in Hanover in order to increase the educational opportunities for women. Subsequently, during the reign of the Kingdom of Hanover, Bullenstrasse was renamed Schulstrasse in 1822 and officially renamed Altstädter Schulstrasse in 1909 .
In the post-war period , the old town school street was closed in 1957.
- Helmut Zimmermann : Altstädter Schulstrasse and Schulstrasse , in: Hannoversche Geschichtsblätter , New Series, Vol. 48 (1994), pp. 356, 373
- Carl-Hans Hauptmeyer : 1753 , in: Hannover Chronik , p. 93
- Carl-Hans Hauptmeyer: Bildungswesen , in Klaus Mlynek , Waldemar R. Röhrbein : History of the City of Hanover , Vol. 1: From the beginnings to the beginning of the 19th century , Hanover: Schlütersche Verlagsanstalt und Druckerei, 1994, ISBN 3-87706-351-9 , pp. 197-200; here: p. 199; limited preview in Google Book search
- Things, so lost , in: Hanoverian advertisements of all kinds of things, the publication of which is necessary and useful for the common being , edition of February 26, 1753; Digitized from the anthology, Hanover: Heinrich Ernst Christoph Schlüter, 1755
- R. Hartmann : Bullenstraße (now Schulstraße) , in ders .: History of the royal city of Hanover from the oldest times to the present , revised reprint of the original edition from 1880, UNICUM Verlag, 2013, ISBN 978-3- 8457-0308-4 , p. 263; limited preview in Google Book search
- Karl Friedrich Leonhardt : History of the family from Limburg-Hetlingen , in: Hannoversche Geschichtsblätter , 30th year, issue 1, Hanover: Verlag von Theodor Schulzes Buchhandlung, 1927, pp. 67–126; here: p. 99; limited preview in Google Book search