After studying German, general and Indo-European linguistics and folklore in Göttingen and Tübingen , the Garbe 1969/70 in Göttingen with the doctorate to Dr. phil. graduated, he worked from 1970 to 1973 as a research assistant on the revision of the German dictionary of the Brothers Grimm . From 1973 he worked as an academic councilor and later as a senior councilor in Göttingen. As of 2006 he was retired.
Garbe published more than 40 books and numerous other texts. In addition to the first reading of the back of the Speyer Codex Argenteus sheet of the Gothic Wulfilabibel (1972), books and essays on German spelling and other topics, Garbe's work also includes children's books, concrete poetry / visual texts, aphorisms , ironic short prose, linguistic glosses , Travel texts and retelling and retelling of fairy tales and legends as well as texts for language lessons.
From 1977 to 2003 he directed the “Poetry Workshop Göttingen”, which he founded. From 1991 he was a member of the European authors' association “Die Kogge” in Minden and from 1994 a member of the Plesse group of authors in Bovenden near Göttingen. He has received various literary prizes and awards for his publications.
Together with his second wife Dagmar Garbe (also a writer, who died in 2012 at the age of 59), he initiated the supraregional young literary prize Holzhäuser Heckethaler in 2002 , which has been awarded annually since then.
The couple lived in Immenhausen-Holzhausen near Kassel and then from October 2011 in Grebenstein . Burckhard Garbe later moved to Frankfurt am Main, where he died on June 12, 2021 at the age of 79. He leaves two sons.
Prizes and awards
- 1984: Hamburg Literature Prize for short prose
- 1987: Prize for short prose from the city of Siegburg
- 1988: Joachim Ringelnatz Prize of the City of Cuxhaven for poetry
- 1989: City clerk at the Waldmühle Soltau municipal library
- 1991: Lower Saxony Art Prize for Literature
- 1992: Lichtenberg aphorism competition of the city of Göttingen
- 1998: Invitation 37th Sarajevo Poetry Days: Children's poetry
- 1998: Short story competition of the Süddeutscher Rundfunk "Der Oberrheinische Rollwagen"
- 2002–2004: Poetry Slam Minden
- 2010: Winner of the Hattinger aphorism competition "Thought Transfer"
- 2011: Citizen Award 2010 of the CDU City Association Immenhausen (with D. Garbe)
- 2011: Golden Badge of Honor of the City of Immenhausen (with D. Garbe)
- 2016: 2nd Bubenreuth literary competition
- 2017: Letter of honor from the State of Hesse for fifteen years of voluntary work at the "Holzhäuser Heckethaler" literary prize
- Linguistic and dialect geographic research on the Prague Hs. [= Handwriting] of the Rhenish "Speech of the XV degrees". Dissertation, Göttingen 1969
- Matters of opinion. visual texts. Fietkau, Berlin 1973, ISBN 3-87352-024-9 .
- Experimental texts in language lessons. Pedagogical Verlag Schwann, Düsseldorf 1976, ISBN 3-590-15373-3 .
- I have a tit. Picture book stanzas. Sauerländer, Aarau 1980
- Working materials: Introduction to linguistics. Basic linguistic course in German. Edition Herodot, Göttingen 1981, ISBN 3-88694-005-5 .
- Max-und-Moritz-Commentary: New high-Germanistic interpretation of the picture story by Wilhelm Busch with quotation quiz Busch: Goethe. Edition Herodot, Göttingen 1982, ISBN 3-88694-020-9 .
- with Gisela Garbe: Status Quo. Views of the location. visual texts and collages 1972–1982. Edition Herodot, Göttingen 1982, ISBN 3-88694-902-8 .
- with Gisela Garbe: The bootless cat, Grimm's fairy tale retold. Edition Herodot, Göttingen 1985, ISBN 3-88694-907-9 .
- with Sylvia Klimek: Frau Milch is sour. Otto Maier, Ravensburg 1986, ISBN 3-473-56045-6 .
- The line of cars. W. Fischer, Göttingen 1987, ISBN 3-439-82012-2 .
- Otto Risotto. Betz, Vienna / Munich 1987, ISBN 3-219-10358-8 .
- The cow on wheels. Picture book stanzas. Fischer, Göttingen 1987; Kinderbuch Verlag, Berlin 1993, ISBN 3-358-02050-9 .
- In the department store buying frenzy. Picture book stanzas. Schneider, Munich 1992
- Primers. Heyne, Munich 2000, ISBN 3-453-17822-X .
- The bunker gang. Volume 1: The Secret of the Elephant ; Volume 2: Hunt for the animal killer. Ritschel, Gladenbach 2000
- The hr radio clique. Where is “Radio Rita X2000”? Ritschel, Gladenbach 2000
- I'll give you one ... Rhyming gifts from A to Z. Heyne, Munich 2001, ISBN 3-453-19480-2 .
- The most beautiful sagas. Kassel region. Prolibris, Kassel 2001
- The most beautiful legends between Harz and Weser. Prolibris, Kassel 2002
- Here comes Janot! Reading stories from 4th Ravensburger, Ravensburg 2002
- Mira and Maro. Cat story. Carlsen (Pixi series), Hamburg 2002
- Tiger, tiger, glider pilot. Animal stanzas. Carlsen (Pixi series), Hamburg 2002
- You know it - 365 new quiz questions. Heyne, Munich 2002
- The most beautiful sagas from Hessen. Prolibris, Kassel 2003
- Hercules. Couple rhymes. Prolibris, Kassel 2004
- Goodbye Goethe - Linguistic glosses for new German. Herder, Freiburg 2005, ISBN 3-451-05611-9 .
- Goodbye Goethe - New linguistic glosses for New German. Herder, Freiburg 2007, ISBN 978-3-451-05828-8 .
- From bag to onion. The alphabet of the funniest words. Herder, Freiburg 2009, ISBN 978-3-451-06006-9 .
- The most beautiful sagas from Hessen. E-book. Prolibris, Kassel 2017
- The lotus tastes good to my eyes. - Notes, poems and photos from a trip to China, Phönixfeder 42 series, OSTASIEN Verlag / Gossenberg 2018, ISBN 978-3-946114-47-5
- The Lawnmower's Beloved - Short cut prose. epubli, Berlin 2018, ISBN 978-3-7467-5773-5 .
- Ignition charges - Polished punchlines 1.0 2.0. epubli, Berlin 2019. ISBN 978-3-7485-0911-0 .
- German spelling and its reform 1722–1974. Niemeyer, Tübingen 1978, ISBN 3-484-10294-2 .
- Texts on the history of German punctuation and its reform 1462–1983. Olms, Hildesheim 1984, ISBN 3-487-07475-3 .
- Concrete poetry, linguistics and Sprachun t rearing. Olms, Hildesheim / Zurich / New York 1987, ISBN 3-487-07905-4 .
- Heckethaler wooden houses. The best stories 2002–2003. Prolibris, Kassel 2004
- Heckethaler wooden houses. The best stories 2004–2006. Prolibris, Kassel 2007
- Dagmar Garbe: Karla stories. The carver. 1997. Ed. Burckhard Garbe. epubli, Berlin 2019, ISBN 978-3-7485-0824-3 .
- Burckhard Garbe's page at the Department of German Philology (with photo) at the Georg-August University of Göttingen
- Garbe's works in the German National Library
- Page from Burckhard Garbe at the Department of German Philology (with photo) at the Georg-August University of Göttingen
- Burckhard Garbenotice . In: Hessische / Niedersächsische Allgemeine , July 24, 2021. Accessed July 24, 2021.
- fun with the language: Burckhard Garbe reads from his glosses on New German. bremerhaven.de, February 20, 2008, accessed on December 14, 2009 (with photo).
- Garbe, Burckhard, Dr. In: bovenden.de. Retrieved July 23, 2021 .
- Obituary: Dr. Burckhard Garbe. In: immenhausen.de. July 21, 2021, accessed July 23, 2021 .
- Heckethaler's mother is no longer alive , hna.de, June 12, 2012
- Bernd Schünemann: The inventor of the wooden houses Heckethaler: literary scholar Burckhard Garbe dies at 79. In: hna.de. July 22, 2021, accessed July 23, 2021 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German writer and Germanist|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin-Charlottenburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 12, 2021|
|PLACE OF DEATH||Frankfurt am Main|